Vibra Artist restoration

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Vibra Artist restoration

Postby MartinT » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Erik, interesting advice thanks. I did not know about the Gretsch connection but having looked at pictures of the Firebird on the web I see the similarity. Pictures of the Mk9 details would be most helpful.
I don't know why the current tail piece was fitted but it is certainly not an upgrade!
Yes, the metalwork was all originally gold plated but has largely disappeared from the wearing surfaces.
I'm not sure about how much routing there is under the tailpiece, I will take it off and have a look.
The broken scratchplate certainly needs fixing.
Judging from the colour inside the routed area under the scratchplate I think the original finish was red but at sometime it has been stripped and recovered (not terribly well) in coloured polyurethane varnish. I would consider removing this, but only if an improved finish could be achieved.
There are also currently only three of the four bearings on the bridge, but as you may spot from the photo, the tailpiece prevents the strings being threaded below the bar on the bridge so currently it sits sold rather than floating. Another reason to fid the correct unit. I assume that if I measure up the detailed dimensions of the bearing I will be able to source from a bearing supplier.
MartinT

Postby nidxs25 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:48 am

Hi martin the three switches are all three position switches and are a nightmare to find the tones you want. the older guitars did not ha ve the roller bridge. The original guitars where sprayed gold and then oversprayed with translucent cherry red.
nidxs25

Postby MartinT » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:32 pm

Interesting information on the three, three position switches. I wonder if anyone out there has a circuit diagram.

I don't think that I will be attempting the gold / red overspray finish.

Cheers
Martin
MartinT

Postby Billyboygretsch » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:23 am

I currently have tworestoration projects on.
First is Vibra Artist - I have 3 one is all original with toggle switch selector 2nd is all original with large raised selector, 3rd i bought for spares etc this one is having a new scratchplate made to original spec I am also getting a spare plate cut with no holes to install strat like switching so can keep the best of both. As you can imagine i have 2 in total bits so can photograph parts etc if anyone needs them

Second is a deluxe needs new scratchpate being cut at the moment. Again this is in bits so have many photos of electrics etc again can offer photos of parts. De Luxe seems an oddball from Jim Burns I have seen 3 versions of this model all of which appear to be original so restore to what anyone have original specs template of the raised scratchplate and the head stock logo. I have an original with a non bound neck and one piece sratchplate
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby Billyboygretsch » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:06 pm

nidxs25 wrote:Hi martin the three switches are all three position switches and are a nightmare to find the tones you want. the older guitars did not ha ve the roller bridge. The original guitars where sprayed gold and then oversprayed with translucent cherry red.

Not sure where the gold oversprayed with red comes from I had never heard this before or seen an example. I am currently working on my early de luxe and have stripped back to the bare wood and can find no trace of any gold spray. Could this have been an experimental model i can understand the logic. Will try with some spray cans on spare wood.
Billyboygretsch

Postby Billyboygretsch » Mon May 02, 2016 5:22 pm

Nice restore by Martin
Attachments
image.jpeg
(567.53 KiB) Downloaded 6697 times
image.jpeg
(195.07 KiB) Downloaded 6697 times
Billyboygretsch