Burns Artist bass

Anything about Burns guitars

Burns Artist bass

Postby BURNSARTISTBASSMAN » 31 Jul 2013, 22:41

First of all I would like told say hi to everyone as I have just joined this forum.

Ok I have managed to get my hands on an Artist bass[1960] and from the little information on the net I have found only 100 were made and this is the first burns bass guitar ever made.

The condition of the guitar is not overly great and does need some work. In am not the actuall owner of the guitar but have instantly fallen in love with it. I want to buy it off the owner who has told me to make an offer but neither of us know what its worth, do es anyone know what it could currently be worth so i can maybey be the proud owner.

Thanks
BURNSARTISTBASSMAN

Re: Burns Artist bass

Postby des mcneill » 31 Jul 2013, 23:09

Hi Thomas,
I too have an Artist bass, - I started playing bass on one about 1960 and loved it. Unfortunately the one I have,not my original, needs some work but still plays ok and sounds great. I would have no idea of value but condition matters greatly so I can't help you there.
Dustyfretz,who attends this forum is an(the) expert on old Burns guitars so may be able to help.
Best of luck, - I hope you get it.

Des.
des mcneill

Postby mgeek » 01 Aug 2013, 08:36

No more than £400 imo.

I seem to recall three or so passing through ebay. one only managed 250.
mgeek

Postby Iain Purdon » 01 Aug 2013, 10:37

Ultimately the value of anything is the amount the buyer is prepared to offer if it is also the amount the vendor is willing to accept.

Haggle!
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby mgeek » 01 Aug 2013, 23:40

Iain_P wrote:Ultimately the value of anything is the amount the buyer is prepared to offer if it is also the amount the vendor is willing to accept.

Well, as someone who both buys and sells on ebay, and with reference to past prices I've seen these go for, as a buyer I'd be looking to get this for £200 with a £350 upper limit, if I really wanted it. As a seller I'd be looking for £600, with £400 as a bottom line.

ps, my dad used to say the 'what someone will pay for it' thing when I was a kid. Always pissed me off!
mgeek

Postby Iain Purdon » 02 Aug 2013, 08:07

Ah, I seem to have morphed into your dad. Sorry about that!
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby BURNSARTISTBASSMAN » 05 Aug 2013, 19:09

Guys, thanks a lot for the input , it has really helped and I appreciate all the responses. I will keep you posted if i buy the guitar.
BURNSARTISTBASSMAN

Postby BURNSARTISTBASSMAN » 01 Sep 2013, 17:39

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to update you on this, I have been given the Guitar as a gift so it is officially mine and im not out of pocket at all.

Expect future updates with images of the restoration.
BURNSARTISTBASSMAN

Postby Billyboygretsch » 27 May 2014, 09:03

I have seen plenty of Sonic basses on eBay and asking prices seem to be around £500. I think this is high and they seem to go for around £350. The Artist bass seems much rarer and I would have thought £500 would be a probable price dependant on condition.
I thought the Sonic basses were made before the Artist bass but stand to be corrected. Were the Artist pick ups different to Sonicand should it be Artist or Artiste as with the guitar
Billyboygretsch

Postby Billyboygretsch » 31 May 2014, 17:08

Just managed to get hold of one. Been stripped back to mahogany so will likely spray it. I have a bridge cover. I think they look much better than the Sonic bass. Not sure what the scale length is.
Billyboygretsch

Next

Return to Burns