Burns GB66 guitar

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Burns GB66 guitar

Postby burnsbonkers » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:30 am

YAHOO! HERE COMES THE CRAZY TRAIN! POOP POOP!.

Virginian pickups fitted AFTER it left the factory!?
BOING BOING!.
I can see that this guitar needs a new scratch plate, pickup surround and a nice new (or if you can find It, an original ) bridge.
That's It.
The only other work I can see needs doing to this guitar, is called "playing it " and "not drilling any silly little holes in it "
ALLES KAPUT WALLY WELT!
burnsbonkers

Postby ErikMAMS » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Mark,
Have you made any progress on the GB66 restoration?

Watch your PM.

Erik
ErikMAMS

Postby marcomadeira » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:00 pm

here is a picture of gb66 nearly complete ...just needs strings and action to be sorted ......
Attachments
1378346_567530116634931_1538230603_n.jpg
(37.36 KiB) Downloaded 10175 times
marcomadeira

Postby JimN » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:37 pm

What are those little white objects on the bass side of the scratchplate?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby marcomadeira » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:46 pm

i had to 2 put 2 white caps on 2 screw holes that where done well before my grandad owned the guitar ....that should have not been there .....best solution apart from having it filled and repainted .
marcomadeira

Postby marcomadeira » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:48 pm

anyway i think considering what it looked like its a real improvement ...considering its a 48 year old guitar
marcomadeira

Postby JimN » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:04 pm

marcomadeira wrote:i had to 2 put 2 white caps on 2 screw holes that where done well before my grandad owned the guitar ....that should have not been there .....best solution apart from having it filled and repainted .

It might look better if you used black caps (or painted them in black enamel of the sort sold in model railway shops).

I think it lends power to my suggestion that a new central scratchplate be made - one wide enough to cover the screw-holes.

There's plenty of prestigious precedent for it; Gibson used to fix a plastic plate (very possibly made of the same stuff as your scratchplate) over the tailpiece mounting holes on production-line ES335s/345s fitted with a Bigsby (and therefore not needing the tailpiece monting studs):

JimN

Postby JimN » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:04 pm

marcomadeira wrote:i had to 2 put 2 white caps on 2 screw holes that where done well before my grandad owned the guitar ....that should have not been there .....best solution apart from having it filled and repainted .

It might look better if you used black caps (or painted them in black enamel of the sort sold in model railway shops).

I think it lends power to my suggestion that a new central scratchplate be made - one wide enough to cover the screw-holes.

There's plenty of prestigious precedent for it; Gibson used to fix a plastic plate (very possibly made of the same stuff as your scratchplate) over the tailpiece mounting holes on production-line ES335s/345s fitted with a Bigsby (and therefore not needing the tailpiece monting studs):

JimN

Postby JimN » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Oooh! A mysterious hole in the scratchplate of that 335...
JimN

Postby marcomadeira » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:46 pm

yes i will paint it black just have not had the time ...lol
marcomadeira

PreviousNext

Return to Burns