Squier Classic Vibe Strat Series 9.5 radius

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Squier Classic Vibe Strat Series 9.5 radius

Postby anniv 63 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:57 pm

Hi
Just wondered if anyone here has fitted a Wilkinson WVP6 replacement trem/block system for this model?
I understand the body depth needs to in the region of 46 mm to accomodate the bridge/ steel block.
As this Squier is Chinese made it may have a thinner body depth? although it is Alder
Certainly fits a Made in Japan Squier 7.5 radius neck and basswood body
ok and ultra reliable as I can vouch for this, over the years having one.
Many thanks if anyone can advise
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Re: Squier Classic Vibe Strat Series 9.5 radius

Postby Stu's Dad » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:25 am

anniv 63 wrote:Hi
Just wondered if anyone here has fitted a Wilkinson WVP6 replacement trem/block system for this model?
I understand the body depth needs to in the region of 46 mm to accomodate the bridge/ steel block.
As this Squier is Chinese made it may have a thinner body depth? although it is Alder
Certainly fits a Made in Japan Squier 7.5 radius neck and basswood body
ok and ultra reliable as I can vouch for this, over the years having one.
Many thanks if anyone can advise

I've done exactly that and the body depth is fine. I think the block is actually shorter than the original. The difference is in the screw hole spacing. I found this tip on line a few years ago and had no trouble following it:

If you're not worried about drilling two holes, you should be able to fit a Wilkinson WV6SBCR without too much trouble. They have 1 round hole and five slotted holes, if you start at the D/G mounting holes and work outwards the B & A will also fit, and the two e's will be about half a hole out. It's simple enough to plug and re- drill, I've used these on two Squiers now with no problem.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby anniv 63 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi Len
Many thanks for your reply and very helpful information for a starting point on this
planned trem/block change

Regards
Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:12 pm

Stu's Dad wrote: … It's simple enough to plug and re- drill ...

True, but it's probably easier to elongate the holes in the bridge plate to line up with the holes that are already there. I've done this a couple of times and it worked fine.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby Stu's Dad » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:40 pm

Uncle Fiesta wrote:
Stu's Dad wrote: … It's simple enough to plug and re- drill ...

True, but it's probably easier to elongate the holes in the bridge plate to line up with the holes that are already there. I've done this a couple of times and it worked fine.

It's an alternative Steve, but I wouldn't say it was easier. Wood's easier to work than steel.
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Return to Gear