New rival to the Boss Katana

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

New rival to the Boss Katana

Postby RUSSET » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:57 pm

Blackstar have just issued a new series of amps, The 'Silverline' series, which appears from the specs to be along the lines of the Boss Katana series. There are some videos on Andertons website, where the Blackstar man introduces them & explains how they work & all the features. They have Celestion speakers, & range from a 20w combo up to 100w heads & cabs, & all inbetween. The main difference from the Katana seems to be that you can choose which valve sims you want to use, out of around seven. Of course, there are no real valves in it. The demos from various stores online are very favorable & they appear to sound very good.
Just putting it out there.

Tony.
RUSSET

Re: New rival to the Boss Katana

Postby dave robinson » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:57 pm

Maybe a rival in some quarters but there were too many Blackstar failures in the repair shop for my liking over the past few years.
Th Katana's biggest rival is from Katana Mk2 that has just been launched but not something I'll be rushing out for, as I've got everything need thanks to the software.
I work on the saying 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby RUSSET » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:06 am

I agree re. the Katana series. It is a really great amp & the superb Boss Quality is in there. Hopefully, Blackstar will have learned from past problems & been able to improve quality control. The Silverline does intrigue me, though. Hmmm.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Stu's Dad » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:20 pm

I've got a Blackstar ID30 TVP and (so far) I've had no problems with it. It does produce something very close to a valve sound, and it's a lot louder than any other solid state amp I've heard. I looked at the Silverline last night and the controls are identical to my amp, so what's new apart from the nice looking cabinet I don't know. The wattages are all different - 15,30 & 60 in the ID series and 20, 50 & 100 in the Silverline.
Are they just dressing something up to make it look new?

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Return to Gear