Stratocaster with Bigsby

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Stratocaster with Bigsby

Postby JimN » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:14 pm

I recall that questions were asked here about Strats retro-fitted with Bigsby vibrato units and it was observed that Cliff Richard had owned such a guitar (and may still own it). This was in the late-70s period (just before Fender launched the USA and Japanese vintage reissue series), but it proved difficult to provide a photo of it. There's a fragment of one in Otto Kasper's discography volume, but it is hardly complete. Here's a better photograph of that instrument, seen today on a BBC-linked website:

Last edited by JimN on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: Stratocaster with Bigsby

Postby dave robinson » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:44 am

Strange, the Strat vibrato is far better than a Bigsby. Ah well it takes all sorts. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby JimN » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:19 am

This particular Strat was a hardtail model (just the string ferrules on the back, like a Telecaster).

I assume the conversion was done because the instrument was a valued pre-CBS model, at a time when new Fenders were a bit of a joke.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby noelford » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:54 pm

The trem on a Strat and a Bigsby are two completely different animals and comparison isn't really useful. I have Bigsby's on four of my guitars and floating trems on six of the others and, in each case, the trem suits the guitar perfectly. I do think, though, that a Bigsby on Strat is NOT a combination made in heaven!
noelford

Postby dave robinson » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:08 pm

noelford wrote:The trem on a Strat and a Bigsby are two completely different animals and comparison isn't really useful. I have Bigsby's on four of my guitars and floating trems on six of the others and, in each case, the trem suits the guitar perfectly. I do think, though, that a Bigsby on Strat is NOT a combination made in heaven!

I agree Noel, I can't play with the same expression as I do with the Strat when using the Bigsby on my Gretsch 6120 or the Guild Starfire III, it lends itself to more of a play and wobble style if you know what I mean. The Stetsbar allows the expression as does the G&L S-500. Mind you, I do however have more freedom on the Gretsch since I fitted the 'Chet' arm that allows the movement of the arm over the strings, so I can hold it with my little finger. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby UlrichS » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Here's the picture, which Jim already posted, in a slightly better quality plus another one probably taken at the same concert.
(I know that the size is larger than usually used here, but I left it to give as much details as possible.)

Ulrich

PS. Both pics originate from back of the sleeves of the Belgian Cliff LPs 'When In Germany' Vol.1 and Vol.2.
Strat with Bigsby 1.jpg
(277.03 KiB) Downloaded 6086 times
Strat with Bigsby 2.jpg
(193.08 KiB) Downloaded 6086 times
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby neil2726 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:24 pm

What ever! It looks horrible!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Return to Gear