Sticky Guitar Case

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Sticky Guitar Case

Postby abstamaria » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:53 am

We have a 60th Anniversary Fender Precision Bass that we bought new some years back. It came in a silver-colorer case, which I suppose is intended to be similar to the diamond marking the anniversary. It is an attractive case and usually attracts the attention of musicians in gigs and shows.

L1000529.JPG
(391.07 KiB) Downloaded 8081 times

That contrasts quite a bit with the somewhat over-the-top lining inside.

L1000519.JPG
(498.21 KiB) Downloaded 8081 times

The problem now is that the silver material has become sticky, just like most plastic things in this modern era. I tried cleaning it with alcohol, which sometimes works on the radio knobs and other sticky bits of some German cars. That hasn't worked. I assume no one else has the problem, as the material probably was used only for the 60th Anniversary PBasses, but if you have suggestions, I would appreciate it.

As a last resort, I will bring it to a place that repairs classic handbags so they can replace the material; they've done great things with my wife's bags. If they ares to do the job, they will have to find a similar material.

Best,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Re: Sticky Guitar Case

Postby ErikMAMS » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:46 am

Andy - this may be far off, but I remember some years back a freind of mine curing a somewhat similar issue with Car Wax polish. The logic being that a thin layer of wax could sort of seal the stickyness I guess. The smell is probably all wrong - but maybe worth a try ;)

Erik
ErikMAMS

Postby Billyboygretsch » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:59 pm

I bought a product called sticky stuff remover. These has worked on many items without destroying the substrate. Not sure if you can get it it your neck of the woods.
Can't think why the plastic should get sticky unless you are getting plasticiser migration from the adhesive used to glue the fabric. It should be possible to strip the fabric and use a more modern glue.
Have you approached Fender and told them of the problem - others may have had it. On such an expensive product it is worth asking for them to repair or replace don't ask won't get.
Good luck with it
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby ecca » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:06 pm

Have you tried WD40 ?
ecca

Postby abstamaria » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:19 pm

Thanks, Erik, Billy, Eric. I did try wax, but that didn't work. I will try WD40 tomorrow, Eric.

In some European cars, plastic interior pieces such as vent louvers, bezels, and knobs, and also upholstery (not on seats but on things like sun visor flaps) get sticky and then break apart. They seem to do this on their own. Closer to our interest, the locking handle of Hercules guitar stands become sticky too and then crumble. This happens in many countries and climates, although heat probably speeds up the process. From what I read the reason seems to be the need to create a plastic that biodegrades.

If the WD40 fails, I will try to have the material replaced.

Best regards,

Andy
abstamaria

Postby abstamaria » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:36 am

Having tried all remedies, none of which worked, I decided to bring the case to a shop my wife brings her old, favorite bags to. The case is unique to the model, with its 60th Anniversary logo on the lining inside the case, so I thought I should try to salvage it. I am quite happy there are shops like that.
abstamaria

A Good Job

Postby abstamaria » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:36 am

The shop that fixes and restores bags - appropriately called "Vintage Bag Restorer" -found vinyl material that looked very much like the cover on the Fender case. They then took the case apart, replaced the sticky stuff with the new vinyl and reinstalled the original trim, including the leather end caps, taking care to stitch using the original holes. They did a good job, i think. There is some difference with the old material, but otherwise the case looks as it did before.

Andy

L1010016.JPG
(301.24 KiB) Downloaded 7892 times
abstamaria

Interior

Postby abstamaria » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:42 am

When I opened the case before, my hands would get sticky from touching the inside edge,which was covered by the sticky vinyl. The shop had to remove the lining to fit the new material. It looks as before, so I am quite happy.

L1010013.JPG
(244.98 KiB) Downloaded 7889 times
abstamaria

Postby MikeAB » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:48 am

Flexible vinyl is full of absorbed liquid plasticisers (otherwise it's a window frame/pipe etc) which can be be leeched out merely by being in only slightly presssured contact with some other types of plastic eg styrene and/or certain adhesives. Very commonly noticed when sellotape is used directly on housewiring. If put in the same place as the removed sticky stuff new vinyl is likely to do the same thing in time, unless special expensive plasticisers are chosen, which is unlikely.
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby abstamaria » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:13 am

Thanks, Mike. I understand now. That is probably why my red Denny plectrums disintegrated when I kept them in a plastic box. The bag restorer suggested leather for the case, but I wanted to preserve the "diamond" color case for this guitar. It's our workhorse guitar.
abstamaria

Return to Gear