New guitars

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

New guitars

Postby dave robinson » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:35 pm

I had the fortune to acquire a gold plated Gibson ES-175 this week that a friend was selling at a fantastic price. I have hankered for one of these for years, going down the road of the ES-137 which looks very much like the 175 but has a centre block and a fixed bridge, similar to a 335 and consequently sounding nothing like the 175, so I sold it.
That was just over a year ago and because of the price (£3000) it remained elusive so I went for the Vintage equivalent model, the VSA 575 which is actually more like the L5. As good as it is I couldn't resist the 'real deal' at £1250, so I guess I have a Vintage for sale.
It doesn't end there, I went into Richtone Music today to buy a Vox VT-80 and whilst there notice a Brian May Red Special. This is one that Brian himself has been involved with and I tried it out whilst trying the amp I was buying. Well I can only say that it sounds amazing, not only for the Queen type sounds but everything else too. The switching is great, with individual switches to activate each of the three pickups, plus thre 'out of phase' switches that give some fabulous tones. So guess what . . . GAS set in and I put a deposit on it to be collected this weekend. How I'm gonna explain it to my other half God only knows, it's not like it's a Strat that I can claim to have hade for ages, if you get my drift. ;)
I've picked up some great guitars lately, all different sounding and quality stuff, the G & L was a revelation as was the PRS Custom 24.
I'd be interested to hear similar stories from members here, in the hope that I'm not on my own. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: New guitars

Postby Billyboygretsch » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:23 pm

Nothing as expensive as you Dave. Revelation 12 string last week also a Burns Steer last week. Today I got another Burns MR2 and an MR3. I would love a ES 175 but can't justify it at the moment. Still you never know may get lucky like you.
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby dave robinson » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:15 pm

So you got four guitars to my two and an amp Bill. :) I've been trying that Vox amp it's amazingly good, butI daren't take it to tonight's gig without more time to get familiar with it. I've bought it to use in the pubs because it's light and I can use the Boogie on well payed gigs, as well as the fact we may be doing an 'upstairs' venue as a residency sometime soon. It's one of those where drums and PA are provided, so a light amp is required. Justification or what. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby RUSSET » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:29 pm

Oh God ! I just know where you're coming from. Over the past few months , I have desired a Gretsch Pro Jet Gold Top. That's in the budget range, but is the upmarket model in the series.

In the end I have got diverted & bought an ordinary Fender USA Standard Strat in Olympic White with a Rosewood board. The reason I went for it was that the price for USA Standards is now down to £1,099, & it includes a very nice Kinsman vinyl (?) hardcase, & I got a free White strap & a £50 discount on it too.

The other purchase I made was again an impulse buy. I happened to notice that at the USA NAAM show, Fender had introduced several new models in the famous Mex Classic series, & one of them was a Jaguar in FIESTA RED, with Nitro lacquer finish & USA vintage pickups. This was around £800 & also included a Fender Hardcase, & a 1% bonus credit from Andertons towards any next purchase.

Yes, M'lud, I'm making a guilty plea to succumbing to GAS, but in my defence I can afford it & why the hell not !

Not at all sorry, Tony.
RUSSET

Postby noelford » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:52 pm

Paul G Shaw wrote:I remember a Rossetti Airstream 3 that ended up in F by the time you got to the 12th Fret...and the action?...whether to play it or look for an arrow...Cheers, Paul

:D

Those were the days. You never had to worry about intonation because the action didn't let you get anywhere near the bit of the fretboard where that was going to be an issue!
noelford

Postby bazmusicman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi Paul,
I bought a left hand 'Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster' in December as a Christmas present to myself. At £319.00 I think it is a good value for money instrument.
I dont think you will be dissapointed.
Best regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby dave robinson » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:32 pm

Paul G Shaw wrote:Hi Dave...just ordered a Left Handed Fender Squier Classic 50"s Vibes Telecaster.....I used to normally buy 'name' instruments at big money but this one is an absolute stonker....all the looks and the sounds....some USA '52 re-issue owners prefer it as well apparently....and all for under £300.....yep it's Chinese but when I hear that sound and feel that neck who cares...apart from diehard snobs, of which I used to be one...but times move on, I just wish we had had all this choice in 1959 instead of the stuff that was available then.....I remember a Rossetti Airstream 3 that ended up in F by the time you got to the 12th Fret...and the action?...whether to play it or look for an arrow...Cheers, Paul

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_clas ... 50s_bb.htm

I bought one of those three years ago Paul, it's white 'see through' rather than the butterscotch colour, I believe it's called blonde. I also have a 62 re-issue Telecaster by Fender, the sunburst bound bodied one and the Squier matches it in every department, it's a cracking guitar. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:37 pm

This afternoon I went and fetched the Brian May guitar and smuggled it into the house and onto my rack at the back of my chair, relegating the G&L Fiorano to it's case for a while. I've had a play on it and it really is amazing with some fabulous sounds and yes, it does do good Shads sounds. Those Burns pickups and that weird switching is making a lot of sense to me - and the sustain, I love it. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Billyboygretsch » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:39 pm

These are now my Bar O Matik pick up lot. Just need the Bison to complete the range
Attachments
image.jpg
(78.55 KiB) Downloaded 7264 times
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby RUSSET » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:36 am

I too got a Squier CV '50s Tele about 3 years ago after being amazed at particularly the quality of the neck & action. Like Dave, I bought the White Blonde model, as I already had a Butterscotch Tele, in the Mex Baja Tele model. The Squier is a real quality guitar, apart maybe from the electrics which are typical far East budget quality. I have since replaced the pickups with some Custom shop Broadcaster versions, which I already had in my spares, & have also put a White scratchplate on it, which is my personal taste. No one could be disappointed at this guitar or the price of it.

Tony.
RUSSET

Next

Return to Gear