Exercises in Echoes I

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Exercises in Echoes I

Postby David Martin » Mon May 04, 2015 9:29 am

Now, folks, give Cosy a real close listen, and comment freely as to what you hear. Don't be bashful... I just want to hear what you think, warts and all... Then I will reveal the kit ...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon May 04, 2015 10:10 am

Cosy. Right, to my ears, it's a sensitive performance along the lines of the original. There are three distractions fogging my brain. Tonally I'd like to hear a tiny bit more top and mixwise I'd bring the lead guitar slightly further forward. Also, in the third measure of each verse the original run-up is minor and in this version it's major. Otherwise, listening past those perceptions, it's there, as I hear it.

Obviously you were wearing red socks but otherwise, as with Kon-Tiki, I have no idea what gear was used. But it doesn't matter to me. My ears are what define 'that sound'!

(I remember backing you doing it live at Warwick some years ago. You haven't lost your touch!)
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby David Martin » Mon May 04, 2015 4:44 pm

An acute observation re the third measure... It's a double stopped running up, and, yes, when Hank plays it, two of the component stops are distinctly minor - where I have played major - and the remainder are major.

I spotted this some time ago, switched to the correct version, but obviously lapsed into the major... And as we all know, it has to be right! Some work required!
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby Gary Allen » Mon May 04, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi David, Are you talking about the double stops from the A to B chord ? It sounds like youre playing 2 of them in minor rather than major, I played yours along with the shads version on youtube together and noticed Hanks sound has more treble making the echo seem clearer, just an observation. gary
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Postby David Martin » Mon May 04, 2015 5:50 pm

That's interesting Gary... That's exactly the opposite of what Iain is telling me... :D
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby GrahamH » Sat May 16, 2015 5:24 pm

Very nicely played, David, and a very good sound for the material chosen. Were you using the same echo unit for all of them or are you comparing different machines?

Also I notice you have attached large wav files for best quality. I remember in the early days of this forum file size was very limited, which prompted members to either compress files severely or post by different routes, such as soundcloud. Does this mean it is now possible to attach full-quality files direct to a post?
GrahamH

Full Real Name: Graham Hamilton

Postby David Martin » Mon May 18, 2015 10:15 am

Different echoes and amps, Graham...

Cosy was recorded with an EFTP Q2 through an Award-Session Acetone transistor amp. (To put it another way - not a valve in sight)... :D
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Gear