Vintage guitars

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Vintage guitars

Postby Mikey » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:57 pm

Graylion wrote:[color=#400080]My Burns D12 Club has the lightest action of any 12-string I have ever played in over 50 years)

I couldn't agree more, the playabilty (is that a word?) of the D6 is excellent. I'd never part with mine.....although never say never!
Mikey

Postby David Martin » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:49 pm

Re the comment about USA PRS...

Would it surprise you to know that on both the examples I bought, the nut was badly fitted against the end of the fingerboard, and on one, the Jack socket mounting plate was secured by three screws only, the fourth was screwed into fresh air, missing the wood entirely?

So i sent an email to Paul Read Smith and received a reply from one of his minions. He thanked me for getting in touch and said he would alert the QC dept... And that was that...

So nothing is sacred, though I have never had a bad Masterbuilt Strat. And we know how much they run out to...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby bor64 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:51 am

David , that's a poor customers service!
At least they could offer you a free warranty repair, at one of there service agent/luthier in GB with free delivery back and forth .....
Did you ask the retailer you bought it from to fix it?

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby dave robinson » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:19 pm

The Vintage VSA 575 arrived and was duly collected yesterday. I can tell you that the quality is second to none and the sound and playability are superb, on a par with my recent G & L and PRS models. It isn't a large amount of money at £349 and it will do the job I need it to do, maybe until I can afford my wished for Gibson Switchmaster - or not. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby David Martin » Thu May 07, 2015 2:50 pm

Here's the Vintage Vee as it now looks...

image.jpg
(358.96 KiB) Downloaded 7934 times

BTW if you are interested, I have a set of gold Wilkinson PAFs for sale, and Gibson Burstbuckers as fitted by the Nashville Custom Shop...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby AlanMcKillop » Thu May 07, 2015 3:46 pm

Do you play that or hang it on the wall lol? ;)
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby David Martin » Thu May 07, 2015 4:26 pm

Both... Just like the others... :)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby Pol » Fri May 08, 2015 9:07 am

[quote="David Martin"]Here's the Vintage Vee as it now looks...

image.jpg

Is this instrument the very rare "King Pacal Custom" in Aztec/Mayan Gold Finish And Gold Hardware ? :D
http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/refere ... ls-rocket/

Pol
Pol

Postby David Martin » Fri May 08, 2015 10:54 am

It certainly is...!
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby Pol » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:38 am

Hi David, here`something i found up when browsing and reading some old magazines.

Dave Davies of The Kinks must have been the first UK musician to own a Gibson Flying Vee. Interestely, the "Beat Instrumental" monthly magazine wrote in a short column about his guitar, quote:
"You can`t buy Dave Davies guitar. So many people have been inquiring about the weird guitar Dave Davies has been using, that Selmers have contacted Gibson to find out about it. It`s called The Flying Arrow and was made for a speciality act in Americaa. Gibson felt that it was too way-out to be a success, and it was only by luck that Dave happened to get his second-hand in the States. As yet, there is no possibility of it being put on the market".[/i
]
[i]Well, as we all know now, it took some additional twenty years before Gibson saw a market demand and launced a decent replica of this mythical instrument..

The same issue of the magazine , February 1966, featured The Shadows on its cover. Nice full colour closeup stagephoto of members playing their white Burns guitars.
The boys were interviewed,saying quote:

"Bruce Welch, greatest living authority on the Shadows sound, was discussing their playing style. "We have a reputation for playing clear cut sound and unbent notes", said Bruce, "and we want to keep it that way because that`s how we feel about music. We don`t like it cluttered up".
This instrumental integrity has brought unkind comments from fans who would prefer to hear a Shadow shadow of Kinks, Animals, or everpresent Stones.
"But all this, "Yeah, yeah lark is only what we were doing five years ago" insisted Bruce, not for the first time".

Cheers Pol.
Pol

PreviousNext

Return to Gear