Bedroom player - equipment advice needed

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Bedroom player - equipment advice needed

Postby Snewzer » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi to all

Only just got around to following up on all this info given to me. Am I right in believing that something like an AC15 would have to be turned up too loud to get the best sound out of it and that I would be better off with something like (As Didier suggests) an AC4 ?

I am right in thinking that the Squier CV 50 would give me a more authentic early Shads sound than would a modern american standard?

Forgot to mention earlier that I am currently playing a newish mexican strat through a Peavey vypyr and I can't get it to sound anywhere near the strat demos on youtube. What could be the problem... is it the strat or is it the amp or is it both?

Pete
Last edited by Snewzer on Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snewzer

Postby bridev » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi Pete,
I too am mainly a bedroom player, so how about an amp with a headphone socket? I use a zoom G3 or a G2 with a little mixer for the b\ts and plug h\phones into the output of the unit for private practice and a Vox vt 15 if I need an amp. The advice given by others more knowledable than me is very good, so this is just a suggestion.

Cheers
Brian
The older the fiddler the sweeter the tune
bridev

Full Real Name: brian devlin

Postby dave robinson » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:18 pm

A Squier Classic Vibe with a Vox Mini 3 and a decent echo and you'd have the perfect 'home' set up. In my case the decent echo is my Hall & Collins, but a Zoom G3 or similar is sufficient. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby shadowtonio » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:17 pm

hello,

The Stanley etap pedal is at the moment sold out, but there is one on ebay to see (180 dollars)
As I have heard there wil be a new batch of stanley etaps comng up, they will be improved. :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cheers, tonio :D
shadowtonio

Full Real Name: Tonio Kooijman

Postby Snewzer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:44 am

bridev wrote:Hi Pete,
I too am mainly a bedroom player, so how about an amp with a headphone socket? I use a zoom G3 or a G2 with a little mixer for the b\ts and plug h\phones into the output of the unit for private practice and a Vox vt 15 if I need an amp. The advice given by others more knowledable than me is very good, so this is just a suggestion.

Cheers
Brian

Brian

How is the echo delay time set on the g2-g3, is a via a knob or via a tap button? The reason I ask is that I have a tap button on my Peavey Vypyr and find it very difficult/impossible to set the exact delay that I want.
Pete
Snewzer

Postby Snewzer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:49 am

shadowtonio wrote:hello,

The Stanley etap pedal is at the moment sold out, but there is one on ebay to see (180 dollars)
As I have heard there wil be a new batch of stanley etaps comng up, they will be improved. :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cheers, tonio :D

Thanks Tonio.
From what I can see the Stanley etap is an echo simulator device only and the Zoom G2 have multi effects functions for a similar price. I would expect then that the echo given off by the Stanley is superior to that from the Zoom? Can anyone confirm this?
Pete
Snewzer

Postby Didier » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:39 pm

Snewzer wrote:From what I can see the Stanley etap is an echo simulator device only and the Zoom G2 have multi effects functions for a similar price. I would expect then that the echo given off by the Stanley is superior to that from the Zoom? Can anyone confirm this?
Pete

The Stanley-FX is certainly superior to the Zoom G2 for Shadows' echoes. But if you want to use a multieffect, the Zoom G3 is far superior to the Zoom G2, and EFPT patches for the G2 are not available anymore, while Ross Hall sells Shadows' patches for the G3.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Snewzer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:43 pm

Didier wrote:
Snewzer wrote:From what I can see the Stanley etap is an echo simulator device only and the Zoom G2 have multi effects functions for a similar price. I would expect then that the echo given off by the Stanley is superior to that from the Zoom? Can anyone confirm this?
Pete

The Stanley-FX is certainly superior to the Zoom G2 for Shadows' echoes. But if you want to use a multieffect, the Zoom G3 is far superior to the Zoom G2, and EFPT patches for the G2 are not available anymore, while Ross Hall sells Shadows' patches for the G3.

Didier

Thanks Didier, if its mainly Shadows sounds that I want then the Stanley looks the best bet for me. I can't see myself using all the other effects on the Zoom.
Pete
Snewzer

Postby alanb » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:03 am

Hi, Basically it depends on what you can afford to spend as with anything, a good top end guitar will cost a fortune but there are some good quality "Copies" out there. The Tokai guitars are pretty good i.e. Les Paul (Love Rock) retails around £350 and as amps go the lower end Blackstar's are good ID 15 modelling amp for example pre loaded with all the usual tones Chorus Overdrive etc for around £199. As far as pickups are concerned it depends on the style of play and the genre for me the Humbuckers work best. Hope this helps.
alanb

Postby Snewzer » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:24 am

Hi to everyone who has contributed. I eventually got the Stanley eTap pedal. Can't say that I have been overly impressed with it. Some of the emulations just don't seem right, Midnight for instance, seems to have way too much of a repeat on it. Anyone had a similar problem or have I bought a duff one?
So I thought well maybe its my other gear that isn't good enough. I now have an AC4HW1 to replace my Peavey Vypyr and again I can't say that I am too impressed so far (Only played it once yet). Doesn't seem to be much of an improvement. It doesn't have a reverb so maybe that is what I'm missing, I now have a G3X on order, maybe that will solve my problems.
Snewzer

PreviousNext

Return to Gear