Gibson L-5 guitar strings to be discontinued

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Gibson L-5 guitar strings to be discontinued

Postby JimN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Bojan wrote:
MeBHank wrote:For a while now,I've been considering changing the type of strings I use on one of my Strats. I was considering trying Gibson L-5s, as many Shads players recommend them. Plus, they're one of the few types of string that match my criteria (round core, pure nickel wrap) . . .

It seems that Gibson L-5 strings have a hex core after all. :(

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEG900ML

Try Pyramid, Bojan. Available from www.thomann.de

Round-cored and available either in 12-52 or 13-56.

The 13-56 comes in the form of a seven string set (you discard the 10).

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Bojan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi Jim, I have been using Pramid Gold pure nickel flatwounds for years and I get their catalogue every year, and I am aware of the roundwounds and their quality, but I just never got around to buying them. But I will, definitely. :)
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby JimN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:27 pm

The round wounds are very clean in tone and reasonably long-lasting. They're also reasonably priced at Thomann, less so at other retailers. I've never tied the flat wounds, but intend to. If they're half as good as Thomastiks, the TIs are going to be twice as good.
JimN

Postby Bojan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:23 pm

JimN wrote:
Bojan wrote:
MeBHank wrote:For a while now,I've been considering changing the type of strings I use on one of my Strats. I was considering trying Gibson L-5s, as many Shads players recommend them. Plus, they're one of the few types of string that match my criteria (round core, pure nickel wrap) . . .

It seems that Gibson L-5 strings have a hex core after all. :(

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEG900ML

Try Pyramid, Bojan. Available from http://www.thomann.de

Round-cored and available either in 12-52 or 13-56.

The 13-56 comes in the form of a seven string set (you discard the 10).

JN
Jim, this might be a stupid question, but in the seven string set, since the .013 string is supposed to be for b, will it withstand the tension of tightening it up to e ?
Bojan

Postby JimN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:37 pm

Bojan wrote:Jim, this might be a stupid question, but in the seven string set, since the .013 string is supposed to be for b, will it withstand the tension of tightening it up to e ?

No problem at all, Bojan.

The industry standard regular slinky set of 10/13/17p/26w/36/46 is just a set of classic Gibson Sonomatics (13/17/26w/36/46/56) moved down one position with the 10 replacing the 56 lost at the other side of the guitar. That's how Ernie Ball derived the set.

Using 13/17/26w/36/46/56 just brings the set back to normal medium gauge (as sold by Fender, Gibson, Black Diamond, D'Addario, etc, bck in the early sixties).

I'd have recommended a straight six-string set 13-56, but Pyramid don't appear to do one via Thomann!

But no problem: the 7-string set is as cheap as the other six-string sets and is capable of being a either a full medium gauge or a slinky, all out of the one packet. You can even use them on a seven-string guitar (and someone I know does just that).

Best wishes,

JN
Last edited by JimN on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JimN

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi www.ernieball.co.uk/k/search?q=PURE+NIC ... 609.1148.0
I find this is always a good place to start when looking for quality pure nickel strings. Easy to make up your prefered sets.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby Bojan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:57 pm

I just realized that I had two sets of DR "Pure Blues" strings at home, one 11-50 and one 12-52 . . . they are hand made in the US and have a round core and are pure nickel roundwound. I read somewhere that Hank used them in some latter Shadows period. They should be ideal, but for some reason I never liked them. Perhaps it's because of their slightly lower tension . . . (I suspect that the Pyramid roundwounds that Jim recommends will also be lower tension, even though Pyramid flatwounds are well known for their high tension, which is why I like them).
Bojan

Postby JimN » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:48 pm

JimN wrote:I bought one set of the John Pearse strings [12s, Justin!] about two years ago, intending to evaluate them.

I eventually put them onto my Gibson ES335 over a year ago - and they are still very lively and bright. On the other hand, the 335 isn't a guitar I play every day.

Can't remember what I paid, but they'd be good value at any typical price.

JN

Reviewing some old posts of mine (haven't found the one I was looking for yet), I saw the above. Those John Pearse 12s are still on my 335 and still sounding great: clean, metallic and twangy. Got some really good reaction to the 335's sound (with those two-year-old strings on it) at local jams over the past few weeks.
JimN

Postby JimN » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:05 pm

JimN wrote:I bought one set of the John Pearse strings [12s, Justin!] about two years ago, intending to evaluate them.
I eventually put them onto my Gibson ES335 over a year ago - and they are still very lively and bright. On the other hand, the 335 isn't a guitar I play every day.
Can't remember what I paid, but they'd be good value at any typical price.
JN

That was an interesting post to find in an idle moment because last week, I part-exchanged the 335 (still with the same John Pearse 12-52 set fitted) for a more expensive Gibson. The strings still sounded relatively bright and new!
JimN

Previous

Return to Gear