MEAZZI Emulation

Hints and tips on getting the sound you want. Includes anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; playing techniques; also amps, effects units, recording equipment and any other musical accessories.

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

Re: MEAZZI Emulation

Postby scotocaster » 11 Mar 2010, 00:07

phil kelly wrote:It takes a good player to get a good sound out of a magicstomp ? Justin is a good player Alan, very good infact,
Phil.

Ha Ha :lol: that's a good one Phil, Justin certainly is a very nice guitarist, and very capable of a demonstration. have a great day.. Scott
scotocaster

Postby MeBHank » 11 Mar 2010, 00:22

dave robinson wrote:I have just finished speaking with Alan Jackson and I'm informed that the work on his machine is ongoing, as parts are being hand made for the unit. I too look forward to hearing the finished product, until then I'll continue to enjoy my gigs using the Magicstomp, Copicat IC400 or the ESE - (although I have the urge to try a Binson) all sound wonderful and not a sign of 'digital clickiness' - it's down to the pilot guess. ;)

It's all down to the user's ears, then. I personally can't stand digital nowadays: the echoes of those modern units have all the subtlety of a herd of elephants. I'd rather cancel a performance than use a digital echo, as, to the public, the sound reflects on the player (and I'm very proud of my reputation on the local gig circuit, in terms of both presentation and sound).

Dave, as you're an owner of both machines, can you tell us the differences that you hear between the ESE and the MagicStomp? I've not heard an ESE in the correct environment to be able to judge it fully so I'll be interested in a comparison of its sound to a unit with which I am familiar (I appreciate the ESE will always lack the magic that a Meazzi supplies, being closer in circuit to a Binson).

Scott, thanks for your kind words. By "very capable of a demonstration" do you refer to the lack of sound files from me? I've not had the opportunity to record sound files which accurately demonstrate my vintage Shads sound, and I have no facilities to record at home. You'll have to wait till you can come to a Shadowers gig and judge for yourself, or till you hear the testimony from those who have seen me play live.

J

PS: Thanks for the support, Phil. About time we spoke. I'll give you a call once I'm back from visiting friends in Wales, though I'm playing at the Black Horse on Friday night if you can come. Should be a laugh, especially if Bert turns up!
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Postby scotocaster » 11 Mar 2010, 01:07

MeBHank wrote:
dave robinson wrote:I have just finished speaking with Alan Jackson and I'm informed that the work on his machine is ongoing, as parts are being hand made for the unit. I too look forward to hearing the finished product, until then I'll continue to enjoy my gigs using the Magicstomp, Copicat IC400 or the ESE - (although I have the urge to try a Binson) all sound wonderful and not a sign of 'digital clickiness' - it's down to the pilot guess. ;)

It's all down to the user's ears, then. I personally can't stand digital nowadays: the echoes of those modern units have all the subtlety of a herd of elephants. I'd rather cancel a performance than use a digital echo, as, to the public, the sound reflects on the player (and I'm very proud of my reputation on the local gig circuit, in terms of both presentation and sound).

Dave, as you're an owner of both machines, can you tell us the differences that you hear between the ESE and the MagicStomp? I've not heard an ESE in the correct environment to be able to judge it fully so I'll be interested in a comparison of its sound to a unit with which I am familiar (I appreciate the ESE will always lack the magic that a Meazzi supplies, being closer in circuit to a Binson).

Scott, thanks for your kind words. By "very capable of a demonstration" do you refer to the lack of sound files from me? I've not had the opportunity to record sound files which accurately demonstrate my vintage Shads sound, and I have no facilities to record at home. You'll have to wait till you can come to a Shadowers gig and judge for yourself, or till you hear the testimony from those who have seen me play live.

J

PS: Thanks for the support, Phil. About time we spoke. I'll give you a call once I'm back from visiting friends in Wales, though I'm playing at the Black Horse on Friday night if you can come. Should be a laugh, especially if Bert turns up!

Hi Justin, it's a bit dificult for me to your "live" performance as i live in Alberta, Canada. Maybe one day when i visit the U.K. But i do have you on my pc playing "Cricket bat boogie" at one of the Shadomania performances and was very impressed by your performance and sound. Keep on pick'n Scott
scotocaster

Postby chas » 11 Mar 2010, 18:57

MeBHank wrote:It's all down to the user's ears, then. I personally can't stand digital nowadays: the echoes of those modern units have all the subtlety of a herd of elephants. I'd rather cancel a performance than use a digital echo, as, to the public, the sound reflects on the player (and I'm very proud of my reputation on the local gig circuit, in terms of both presentation and sound).

Hi Justin,
Just out of curiosity, what do you use as a back up - in case (heaven forbid) your echo packs up mid gig?

Chas.
chas

Postby Didier » 11 Mar 2010, 19:21

MeBHank wrote:I personally can't stand digital nowadays: the echoes of those modern units have all the subtlety of a herd of elephants.

Listen to these samples : http://www.4shared.com/file/8261317/e70 ... mples.html , taken from a live recording made a few years ago by Patrice's band. Guess which kind of echoes he was using (He didn't had his Meazzi clone yet).

Didier
Didier

Postby tommybird » 11 Mar 2010, 22:08

Justin, you've not read the info on the ESE, its circuitry is based on a Meazzi , not a Binson.
Cheers Tommy :D
tommybird

Postby dave robinson » 11 Mar 2010, 22:29

tommybird wrote:Justin, you've not read the info on the ESE, its circuitry is based on a Meazzi , not a Binson.
Cheers Tommy :D

For someone who has owned an ESE Echomatic for the past five years, that's news to me Tommy - could you enlighten me, as there's nothing on the ESE website. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby ecca » 11 Mar 2010, 23:03

Well I got to put my tuppence's worth in here......
I was well impressed with the Q20 as programmed by Charlie.
I wasn't with the 508, the Zoom 2000 or the Magicstomp.
In my time I've owned and used 2 valve Copicats, 2 Binsons, 2 Analogue bucket brigade units and innumerable digital units since.
It's all too hypothetical.
ecca

Postby phil kelly » 11 Mar 2010, 23:26

ESE is more binson circuitry than Meazzi, still doesnt sound like a Binson though, or a Meazzi , more Swiss or Klempt echo tone to my ears, still nice,
Phil.
phil kelly

Postby dave robinson » 12 Mar 2010, 00:24

Justin wrote;

Well Justin I believe you were there when I used the ESE Echomatic at Shadowmania in 2006 when we appeared as Warren Bennett & Friends. After the gig, the 'echo police' made many positive comments about the sound, through the EF86 channel of the Pinnacle KV30 that I was demonstrating at the time.
There are differences in the sound between the ESE & the Magicstomp, but when mixed with the sound of the band it is difficult to say what it is and to be honest it's negligible. Our audiences come to enjoy a show and see a performance (thank God) , rather than to sit studying if we are using the right gear, so no matter which of my four echo machines I choose to use, we go down equally well, which is what it should be about.

My Magicstomp has been heavily modified by myself (although I use Charlie Hall's patches) and it can sound brighter than the ESE at times, the Samson Airline tends to 'sharpen up' the tone and I try to compensate with the Vox AC30 'cut' control. The ESE sounds 'right' and has the slightly distorted edge as one would expect from a valve based tape echo machine. That said, I use my Watkins Copicat IC400 now that I have re-positioned the record head to obtain a slower echo and with the varispeed I can now get everything I need on that machine, although the echo taps are never really 'spot on' it sounds great and reminds me of the old bands back in the early sixties when we started. Danny Martin got up and played with us the other night and was well impressed, as there's very little messing around to do in between tunes.

I look forward to your visit and hearing your Meazzi first hand. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Guitars and Gear