The Shadows & Mesa Boogie

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Shadows & Mesa Boogie

Postby dave robinson » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:38 pm

Having gone back to Boogies for our main amps (still use Voxes for Shadows gigs) I wondered how long The Shadows used them and what, if any recordings were they used on? :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: The Shadows & Mesa Boogie

Postby JimN » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:51 pm

I think, from memory, that The Shadows started using the Boogie amplifiers for the autumn 1983 UK tour. I'm sure they were using them at the Dominion in Tottenham Ciurt Road on the night that Mark Knopfler joined them on stage for Going Home.

They used the Boogies until their final planned tour in the autumn of 1990.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dave robinson » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:19 pm

You're at least one year out Jim, I first saw them at Coventry Apollo in the Autumn of 1982, I have the programme which carries an ad for the Boogie and there's a photograph of a pair of Hank's specs sitting on top of one of the amps and the caption reads something like 'These fine spectacle stands are supplied by Chandlers" or words to that effect.
So if what you're saying is correct, they had at least eight years of Boogie use? I do remember them sounding great at that time.

I renewed my interest in these amps after seeing The Shadows use them when I saw David Bowie at the NEC in 1991ish and there was a Boogie on stage there. I was having trouble with my Sessionette and traded it at Electro Music in doncaster for a MkIII Boogie @ £1400. It was a great sounding amp, but very, very heavy with the EV speaker and after about five years caught fire at a gig. I had it repaired but lost faith and traded it and went into amp limbo for a while, trying Peavey, Music Man, Fender Twin (again) and settling on another Boogie MkIII head and cabinet, only to get a Fender Blues DeVille before going back to Vox which became a nightmare. This Vox was one of the Anniversary editions with leather handles and rear plaque before Marshall built them. I tried the KCP and moved that on after buying a 1964 Vox which was awesome. It's ironic that after all the money spent I returned to Vox (still have four of them) and have gone back to Boogie with the lighter Celestion single speaker for regular gigs. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby JimN » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:49 pm

1982 was a time when I was involved with our move south, and I didn't get a ticket for the Shads' tour that autumn. I only realised this when I saw the Hammersmith Odeon (as it was at that time) with a marquee banner telling of that night's sold out Shadows concert. :(

I remember that advert though: it was in use for several years in guitar magazines, etc.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dave robinson » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:55 pm

JimN wrote:1982 was a time when I was involved with our move south, and I didn't get a ticket for the Shads' tour that autumn. I only realised this when I saw the Hammersmith Odeon (as it was at that time) with a marquee banner telling of that night's sold out Shadows concert. :(

I remember that advert though: it was in use for several years in guitar magazines, etc.

Cool 8-)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:59 pm

There must have been some bad Voxes around that time because the reason that they switched to Boogie was that for the 1982 tour there had been ten Vox amps delivered and five broke down during rehearsals. The story I remember goes that Hank refused to use them ever again, though someone may know something more accurate. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby cockroach » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:15 pm

Quite funny - living in Australia, we don't get to see famous acts very often...

When I finally got to see 'the Master of the Telecaster' Roy Buchanan play live, he used a Strat...

When I finally saw the Shadows live- they used Mesa Boogies, and Hank had a Roland echo unit...

In both instances, they still sounded like themselves.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby George Geddes » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:27 pm

I remember reading the 'ten Vox' story, too, Dave. I think they were rehearsing at Nomis.

On at least one occasion when they were using Boogies, Bruce had a Dean Markley amp as a spare...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby ErikMAMS » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:33 pm

George Geddes wrote:I remember reading the 'ten Vox' story, too, Dave. I think they were rehearsing at Nomis.

Actually when they went back to the new JMI Vox's for the anniversary tour it was reported from reliable source that 5 of the 6 amps that were delivered to The Shadows to the first rehearsals at Windsor blew the HT fuse. Problem was identified as something to do with the speaker wiring - which was then corrected, but nevertheless could not have been reassuring just before a tour.

Erik
ErikMAMS

Postby Abbeyroadie » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:15 am

Just to add a little known fact (well it appears so anyway) Those amps would have stayed in their wrongly wired condition had Charlie Hall not been there on other business, spotted the and corrected the problems. :o
Abbeyroadie

Next

Return to Gear