Guitar Question

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Guitar Question

Postby Fenderman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:30 pm

This has probably been discussed before, but theres someone on facebook who claims Bruce Welch lied in an interview regarding what guitars were used in the early years, i have pasted his question below (his English isn't perfect):

Jim Nugent made me feel an interview where almost Welch swears that the sound of Shadows is the Stratocaster, Is also the Stratocaster.
Bruce is wrong .... or she no longer remembers. Let me have a public meeting with Bruce and look who is right. The first period was played with the Gretsch country gentleman, without any doubt.
I have to play in front of me KON-TIKI, THE STRANGER, WONDERFUL LAND, THE SAVAGE, MAN ON MYSTERY, THE FRIGHTENED CITY etc. and I want to hear the sound of the disc.
Bruce Welch deliberately lying.
I love the Strat and I do not cheat on anyone.
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Can someone clears this up because i don't know the correct answer!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Re: Guitar Question

Postby Hank2k » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:09 pm

This discussion has gone on many times on here, as far as history goes etc the original strat 34346 was used to record apache, wonderful land etc.

Hank did have a gretsch country gentleman for some songs (nivram I believe was one) and there was a theory that it was used on apache but records show as does the memory of those that were there that the strat was used.

Hope this clears it up
Hank2k

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:28 pm

Oh no, not this one . . . . . Again ? :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby ecca » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:55 pm

Oh gawd..... here we go again......
ecca

Postby JimN » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:21 pm

Ah... it's Maurizio Mazzini.

A great friend of Roberto Pistolesi and the musical force behind the "That Sound!" series of backing track CDs.

Maurizio is a wonderful musician with an easy command of just about any popular music style. Sample his recordings on SoundCloud.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Fenderman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:20 pm

Sorry, i wasn't aware this was a well worn subject! :D
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:37 pm

JimN wrote:Ah... it's Maurizio Mazzini.

A great friend of Roberto Pistolesi and the musical force behind the "That Sound!" series of backing track CDs.

Maurizio is a wonderful musician with an easy command of just about any popular music style. Sample his recordings on SoundCloud.

I have heard Maurizio's recordings and he's way out if he thinks he's anywhere near That Sound. I fell for all that Gretsch rubbish because there was a guy in the North East who was allegedly told by Hank that he used the Gretsch on Apache, but thinking about it and Hank's sense of humour he was definitely taking the mick.

The good thing about the Gretsch discussion over ten years ago, was my involvement got me to do some work with Roberto and we enjoyed a great friendship culmunating in my being able to get him to meet his hero, Hank, through Warren Bennett. I also bought a 1959 Gretsh Country Gentleman, sourced for me by Jim Nugent, which allowed me to explore what Roberto was claiming and it led to me finding the sound - but with a Fender Strat, via the EF86 valve on a Vox amp. I liked the Gretsch but later sold it and got my money back, later buying a more sensible priced Eddie Cochran spec 6120.
It was an interesting adventure and we had a lot of fun and a lot of discussion, I miss Roberto a great deal as he was a mine of information about guitars and gear. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby geoff1711 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Of course I'll probably get shot down in flames here, but does it really matter?

Geoff
geoff1711

Postby abstamaria » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:42 pm

geoff1711 wrote:Of course I'll probably get shot down in flames here, but does it really matter?

Geoff

If it didn't, Geoff, what would, in a site dedicated to the Shadows and their music? :)

Regards,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby ecca » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:35 am

Last night at the Hankies my combination was an original Vox AC15 from 1963, Valve Eccamatic and strat.
Blinkin eck, talk about that sound, brilliant.
Must take the Grestch next week.
ecca

Next

Return to Gear