Guitar Question

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Guitar Question

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:46 am

Paul Creasey wrote:If I bought a Gretsch Drum Kit, would I get "That Sound"? :roll:
Probably part of the "problem" is the multiplicity of spellings for "Gretsch"...........are we sure that we're actually talking about the same thing? :lol:
(Sorry Andy!) I'm with Geoff on this one.

Regards
Paul.

If you bought a Gretsch drum kit you would get a great sound, depending how you tuned it. Our current drummer uses a red sparkle Tama kit which also sounds good, I guess it's down to the player. One drummer we had couldn't tune his kit for toffee, but he was a good player, but his idea of how the snare drum should sound was musically more like a biscuit tin to my ears. :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Tuned drums

Postby abstamaria » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:52 am

The drum kit we use has the note each drum should be tuned to marked inside its shell. Not easy, and I still haven't figured out how to do that.
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby Paul Creasey » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:06 am

Hello Dave,

"I guess it's down to the Player". I really can't disagree with that.
Doesn't that apply to Guitarists as well?

Regards
Paul.
Paul Creasey

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:08 am

Paul Creasey wrote:Hello Dave,

"I guess it's down to the Player". I really can't disagree with that.
Doesn't that apply to Guitarists as well?

Regards
Paul.

Really ? I wouldn't have thought so. :lol:

Seriously , I firmly believe it's down to the choice of cymbals. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Tigerdaisy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:39 am

I have to confess that I would be incredibly highly amused if Apache had actually been recorded on a Gretsch...after all the endless and sometimes tedious arguments over so many items of minutia regarding 'that sound'. I cannot see how anyone even vaguely familiar with the Strat and more importantly the dynamics of the trem facility could think Apache was recorded on a Gretsch.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

FS or Gretsch?

Postby br1vittorio » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:42 pm

Sorry I did write Grotsch.....maybe because I never heard about that brand before....!
My apologies, please someone amend the subject!
Many thanks
Bruno
PS:
my preferred "The Shadows" songs:
- Wonderful Land
- Atlantis
- Peace Pipe
- Sleep Walk
- Apache
Attachments
il castello di Ferrara.jpg
(172.66 KiB) Downloaded 10383 times
br1vittorio

Postby MikeAB » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:01 pm

In any event a quote from ''Liberty Valance'' applies.

''When the legend becomes truth - print the legend''

Or something like that!

So a Strat it is - either way.
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:08 pm

Oh no! Is this one still going?

I've just watched the video Didier posted on the previous page ... interesting.

My opinion is that if you're playing the correct notes, through the correct echo, into the correct amplifier, then whatever guitar you use will get you close to 'that sound'.

Notice I only said close. To get that last few per cent, only a Strat will do. I've used a Les Paul, 335 and PRS at Shadows club meetings, and although most people tell me they like the sound, nobody has ever said they got closer to 'that sound' than a Strat.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby br1vittorio » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:34 pm

Many thanks for replying, as an italian knowing how ...tuscan people are or can be....I would be curious to read all the book just to try and understand how mr. Pistolesi....did arrive to his(wrong) theory/assertions.
As a graduate engineer I am convinced that, apart from Hank Marvin mastery, all was due to electronic "management" of the guitar sound but to have, in the end, released a book together with 2 other authors, ...sounds at least...funny/intriguing to me!
Maybe he menaced them.....!
Or got their permission/approval by stress!
It would be like having a ...counter Bible!
Have a wonderful Sunday, here's raining.
Bruno
Ferrara
Italia

ps: is it possible to have at least an excerpt of the book...somewhere?
br1vittorio

Postby dave robinson » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:49 am

br1vittorio wrote:Many thanks for replying, as an italian knowing how ...tuscan people are or can be....I would be curious to read all the book just to try and understand how mr. Pistolesi....did arrive to his(wrong) theory/assertions.
As a graduate engineer I am convinced that, apart from Hank Marvin mastery, all was due to electronic "management" of the guitar sound but to have, in the end, released a book together with 2 other authors, ...sounds at least...funny/intriguing to me!
Maybe he menaced them.....!
Or got their permission/approval by stress!
It would be like having a ...counter Bible!
Have a wonderful Sunday, here's raining.
Bruno
Ferrara
Italia

ps: is it possible to have at least an excerpt of the book...somewhere?

Having spent time recording at Roberto's studio, using his Gretsch / Meazzi / Fender Tremolux, I can understand how he got it so wrong. I played exactly what he told me to play using the instruments that he provided and he sent me a final mix on a CD of our experiment when I returned home. As much as I loved the guy, Roberto was hopelessly miles away with his sound and it was only after he died that I tried the Vox AC15 with the EF86 chanel and heard the sound that he was seeking. He did have an old AC15 in the studio and when I asked to try it with the Meazzi and a Strat, he flatly refused, insisting that the sound was that of a Gretsch 6122 through a Fender Tremolux. It was two months after he passed away that I cracked the sound using my '63 Strat through an ESE Echomatic into a JMI AC15. The sound was exactly as the original 'Apache' recording made by Hank in 1960. I would have loved Roberto to o have heard it, but we had fun seeking the sound his way and I'll never regret the journey. If only he'd let me try his Vox . . . . :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Gear