Guitar Question

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Guitar Question

Postby Billyboygretsch » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:05 am

Hey Ecca if you take the same set up as last night plus the Gretsch you could play Apache on both, post it and let us decide what it was originally played on as per another thread going on here ha ha
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby Paul Creasey » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:06 am

If I bought a Gretsch Drum Kit, would I get "That Sound"? :roll:
Probably part of the "problem" is the multiplicity of spellings for "Gretsch"...........are we sure that we're actually talking about the same thing? :lol:
(Sorry Andy!) I'm with Geoff on this one.

Regards
Paul.
Paul Creasey

Postby abstamaria » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:20 am

No problem, Paul. :)

Best,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby Didier » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:40 am

dave robinson wrote:
JimN wrote:Ah... it's Maurizio Mazzini.

A great friend of Roberto Pistolesi and the musical force behind the "That Sound!" series of backing track CDs.

Maurizio is a wonderful musician with an easy command of just about any popular music style. Sample his recordings on SoundCloud.

I have heard Maurizio's recordings and he's way out if he thinks he's anywhere near That Sound. I fell for all that Gretsch rubbish because there was a guy in the North East who was allegedly told by Hank that he used the Gretsch on Apache, but thinking about it and Hank's sense of humour he was definitely taking the mick.

The good thing about the Gretsch discussion over ten years ago, was my involvement got me to do some work with Roberto and we enjoyed a great friendship culmunating in my being able to get him to meet his hero, Hank, through Warren Bennett. I also bought a 1959 Gretsh Country Gentleman, sourced for me by Jim Nugent, which allowed me to explore what Roberto was claiming and it led to me finding the sound - but with a Fender Strat, via the EF86 valve on a Vox amp. I liked the Gretsch but later sold it and got my money back, later buying a more sensible priced Eddie Cochran spec 6120.
It was an interesting adventure and we had a lot of fun and a lot of discussion, I miss Roberto a great deal as he was a mine of information about guitars and gear. :)

In april 2006, a few weeks before his sudden death, Roberto came to France (in Rambouillet, nears Paris) to do a presentation about his theories on "that sound" during a "technical" Shadows meeting. He came with Allessandro Tonini (who was his demonstrator) and Jim Nugent.
Here is a short summary of this presentation (I was doing the translation in french, which has been cut out from this video) : http://www.italianshadowscommunity.com/ ... Theory.wmv

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby KurtFroberg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:06 pm

Thanks for sharing the video, Didier!

It´s always hard to judge the sound when playing along with the original lead guitar, and of course even more difficult on a video recording.

Great to see Roberto´s enthusiasm!

Kurt
KurtFroberg

Full Real Name: Kurt Fröberg

Postby Didier » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:48 pm

KurtFroberg wrote:Thanks for sharing the video, Didier!

The video comes from the Italian Shadows Community : http://www.italianshadowscommunity.com/

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Fenderman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:36 pm

That thread on Facebook has turned into a flamewar, everyone is arguing now with personal insults being thrown around!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby drakula63 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:05 pm

Fenderman wrote:That thread on Facebook has turned into a flamewar, everyone is arguing now with personal insults being thrown around!

Ha, ha!! That's what I like to see - good, grown up, sensible debating. Perhaps one reason why moderated forums are not such a bad thing... ;)
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby neil2726 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:53 pm

A bit like PMs Question Time then!!!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Stratpicker » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:13 pm

Or whether "Celebration of the Shadows" is value for money?! :D :D
Just kidding! :roll:
Cheers