Vintage guitars

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Vintage guitars

Postby noelford » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Bur the relics aren't actually worn, are they David, all the dings are carefully lacquered and finished.
noelford

Postby dave robinson » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:53 pm

noelford wrote:Bur the relics aren't actually worn, are they David, all the dings are carefully lacquered and finished.

That's what is funny, the guitar is finished with a beautiful protective and durable lacquer over the 'damage'. The Fender ones aren't though, the damage is real on those. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:57 pm

By a strange coincidence the relic debate has been running in the Music section of the Pistonheads forum for the last couple of days (It's in the "Let's look at out guitars" thread if you fancy looking it up).

I really don't understand why anyone would pay a premium for a guitar with someone else's fake dents and scrapes on, when instead they could just gig it for a few years and put their own genuine dents and scrapes on, and save some money as well.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby kipper » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:52 pm

i dont understand why someone would buy a fiesta red fender stratocaster just to imitate hank marvin or buy a guitar with a copy of his signature on it at a premium price. (i do really just trying to make a point) why does someone want red instead of black green what ever??? its down to the individual. some times there are no reasons other than i like it simple.
this debate always goes the same way when the subject of relic guitars comes up. its just a different colour really there dosent have to be an agenda like !! it makes me look cool ect !!. !!!its makes people think i`m a great guitarist !! i never under stand why it provokes peoples opinions the way it does. all ment in the best possible taste.peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby Ryan » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:33 am

Hi All,
I wonder if our guitar heroes wasn't necessarily associated with certain brands of guitars, and endorsed with them over the years, what their genuine opinion of these more cheaper, budget guitars would be nowadays? As most of them probably started out with an equivalent of these in the 50's/60's. With some of these budget brands, although not all, i think they would be pleasantly surprised.
And as for relicing.....I accidently dropped a microphone from out of a mic stand onto the edge of my squier strat, which was standing next to it on a guitar stand, it chipped the paintwork, which til this day still haunts me :lol:
Also if you brought 1 of these relic looking guitars, which has been made to look 10 years or so old, then you play it for 10 years or so adding your own normal wear and tear, i wonder if it would be harder to sell than if you had brought the 'new' looking equivalent? as the buyer may think you've mistreated it a lot more than you actually have :lol:
Cheers
Ryan
ps nothing here to be taken too seriously, just a thought i had
Ryan

Postby ecca » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:00 am

What's a'middle pick-up' on a Les Paul ? Has this one got 3 ?
ecca

Postby David Martin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:33 pm

noelford wrote:Bur the relics aren't actually worn, are they David, all the dings are carefully lacquered and finished.

They really are heavily worn... Down to bare wood depending on model. I have a heavy relic '53 Tele. It sounds epic and feels like I've played it since then too, but it looks really bashed about. I bought it for the sound and feel, not the look... :D
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby dave robinson » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:37 pm

ecca wrote:What's a'middle pick-up' on a Les Paul ? Has this one got 3 ?

Try reading it again, it says middle pickup POSITION i.e. both pickups - although many Les Pauls' do have a middle pickup, although you knew that, thus making the comment futile. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby ecca » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:32 am

Then say 'both pick-ups ' and not 'middle pick-up'.
There's no need for your sarcasm David, no need.
ecca

Postby dave robinson » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:44 am

ecca wrote:Then say 'both pick-ups ' and not 'middle pick-up'.
There's no need for your sarcasm David, no need.

No sarcasm, MIDDLE PICKUP POSITION - I'm referring to the switch here, simples. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Gear