Vintage guitars

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Vintage guitars

Postby Billyboygretsch » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:50 pm

We really should not be surprised at the similarity. The computer has taken over so modern guitars are built on the same Or similar equipment. Replication is easy nowadays. Custom Shop guitars aren't hand built they are hand finished. Take any manufacturer popular on this site and you will find only manufactured differences between their economy and quality lines. If I were a young musician I would not bother with many of over priced supposedly rare / vintage labels. Starts from the 70 s were rubbish and manufacture had to go to Japan. Still people pay exorbitant sums for them. I would suggest that good Chinese manufacturers produce far better quality guitars than those produced in the U.S. In the 50s / 60s. Lack of character and charisma yes - quality no.
Customising your own guitar to your specific requirements is easy nowadays. Back when many of us started getting a decent guitar was tough customising - what's that !
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby dave robinson » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:15 pm

I recently acquired a real Gibson ES-175 for an amazingly bargain price, thus rendering my Vintage 575 redundant which I sold on, but in all honesty there was nothing between them soundwise, or indeed in looks and playability. That's how it is today and the price of the same model of Gibson is £3000 more than the Vintage.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Pol » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:14 am

Interesting news, off topic...

John Lennon`s Gibson J-160E sells for $ 2.4 m. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34759332

www.nbcsandiego.com/blogs/sounddiego/Jo ... 50872.html
Pol

Previous

Return to Gear