Vintage guitars

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Vintage guitars

Postby dave robinson » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:52 pm

I also picked up another Vintage Les Paul this week, the Peter Green/Gary Moore 'Lemon Drop' which is a copy of the '59 'burst that is very sought after. At £180 it's a beauty and has those sounds that the out of phase pickup and wiring provided on 'Black Magic Woman' and 'Parisienne Walkways'. I studied the video on You tube by Phil Harris who has custody of the original Lemon Drop and took a chance that this might get close. Whether or not it is close is hard to say, but it sounds quite different to the normal Les Paul in the middle pickup position. I gigged it last night and loved the sound, as well as the fact it is a dream to play. Not keen on the 'relicing though, but at the money I'll put up with it. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Ryan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:32 pm

stephen wrote:
Ryan,
If it's of interest to you, you can receive the JHS 'Gear' magazine by email.
Try requesting that one is sent regularly to you. I'm sure that they'll be happy to oblige.
marketing@jhs.co.uk

Stephen.

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the info but tried clicking on the link you posted and nothing is happening, is it an email address by any chance?
Cheers
Ryan
Ryan

Postby Ryan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:37 pm

dave robinson wrote:I also picked up another Vintage Les Paul this week, the Peter Green/Gary Moore 'Lemon Drop' which is a copy of the '59 'burst that is very sought after. At £180 it's a beauty and has those sounds that the out of phase pickup and wiring provided on 'Black Magic Woman' and 'Parisienne Walkways'. I studied the video on You tube by Phil Harris who has custody of the original Lemon Drop and took a chance that this might get close. Whether or not it is close is hard to say, but it sounds quite different to the normal Les Paul in the middle pickup position. I gigged it last night and loved the sound, as well as the fact it is a dream to play. Not keen on the 'relicing though, but at the money I'll put up with it. :)

Hi Dave,
I remember seeing a vintage 'lemon drop' guitar in 1 of the guitar shops in Wolverhampton, where i had my Vintage from, Always thought it looked a lovely guitar.
By the way, what is 'relicing?
Cheers
Ryan
Ryan

Postby dave robinson » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:15 am

Hi Ryan, reliced means that it's been made to look worn with paint worn through to the wood at the back of the neck and in the middle of the back of the guitar and the edges where the arm rests. The problem is that they'e done that and then sprayed a clear lacquer over it and it feels brand new. This guitar is almost brand new and retails at around £445, though there are a lot of firms discounting. The guitar itself could be a £2000 Gibson if you were given it to play blindfolded, you'd be hard pressed to feel, or hear the difference from a real Gibson, I know because I've got one. I just love inexpensive guitars. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Billyboygretsch » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:57 am

Relic. It's like buying a new car and beating up to look like an old one. I think I am vintage why anyone young would want to be beat up to look like me I have no idea.
For the life of me I cannot understand anyone paying extra money to have a beat up look there is no character or charisma in any guitar that has been reliced. Although others have an opinion I feel It is all about the big manufacturers making money out of naive people.
Just my opinion.
I restore old beat up guitars to try and give them a deserved new lease of life unless they are old with character
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby dave robinson » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:23 am

I agree Bill, it's a money making thing that gives people an old looking guitar and hopes to fool the audience into thinking they must have some history in the business. :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby noelford » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:08 am

dave robinson wrote:I agree Bill, it's a money making thing that gives people an old looking guitar and hopes to fool the audience into thinking they must have some history in the business. :lol:

Agreed, Dave - that, in a nutshell, is why, I believe, most people buy relics.
noelford

Postby stephen » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:51 pm

Ryan wrote:
stephen wrote:
Ryan,
If it's of interest to you, you can receive the JHS 'Gear' magazine by email.
Try requesting that one is sent regularly to you. I'm sure that they'll be happy to oblige.
marketing@jhs.co.uk

Stephen.

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the info but tried clicking on the link you posted and nothing is happening, is it an email address by any chance?
Cheers
Ryan

Ryan,

It is an email address. I meant for you to contact JHS via it & request that they email you the Gear magazine each time it comes out.
Regards,
Stephen.
stephen

Postby dave robinson » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:13 pm

noelford wrote:
dave robinson wrote:I agree Bill, it's a money making thing that gives people an old looking guitar and hopes to fool the audience into thinking they must have some history in the business. :lol:

Agreed, Dave - that, in a nutshell, is why, I believe, most people buy relics.

This guitar I have just bought looks OK front, most of the pseudo damage is on the back edges, the centre of the back (bucklerash) and wear on the back of the neck & headstock, but then it's lacquered over in a clear smooth finish.the guitar was almost unplayed in brand new condition and is dearer to buy new than one that has been left as new, un-relic'd. :|
If you look at the JHS catalogue you can see each of them.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby David Martin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:12 pm

In some circumstances I prefer relics, even though I've only been playing for 54 years. Who wants to take their pristine shiny guitar into a crowded sweaty venue to get it scratched? With a worn guitar you don't worry so much... So I have both... Pristine and workhorses...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

PreviousNext

Return to Gear