Joyo AC Tone

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Joyo AC Tone

Postby RUSSET » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:24 pm

With all these high recommendations, I had to investigate these Joyo pedals. I have just popped down to Fairdeal Music in Brum & grabbed an ACTONE & an AMERICAN Sound pedal. They are branded in Fairdeal as 'Rocktronics' pedals, but are exactly the same thing from the same factory. I had a demo through a Fender Bassman amp, so it was not exactly the correct set-up to get the full-benefit, being coloured by the Bassman's tone. However you could tell the difference when the pedal was kicked in. I haven't had a chance to try them at home yet, but I will do a test through a PA & possibly a wedge Monitor too in a few days to get the full flavour of the pedals. Certainly, you do get a jangle-tastic clean rhythm tone with the gain set low & the mids backed off. I play mainly Rhythm guitar with my friends & it is general '60s pop, & not just Shads, so I have great hope for these being very useable pedals. We generally put our guitars into the PA with a bit of modelled amp & effects in front, so these can potentially be ideal, rather than lugging actual heavy amp combos around.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby noelford » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:10 am

I'm still thinking of getting the AC Tone as a back-up pedal. Just wondering, those of you who have one, where you are putting it in your chain (I assume you are, at the least, running a delay of some kind, too).
noelford

Postby Goingdownslow » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:21 am

Hi Noel......for recording purposes I go into my Catalinbread Echorec pedal and the AC Tone and then into the iMac......
The AC tone does a good job of replicating all,the aspects of a miked up Vox......no need for any speaker emulation plug ins etc.....Paul
Goingdownslow

Postby noelford » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:17 am

Thanks, Paul, that confirms what I was thinking.

Noel
noelford

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:45 am

Goingdownslow wrote:Hi Noel......for recording purposes I go into my Catalinbread Echorec pedal and the AC Tone and then into the iMac......
The AC tone does a good job of replicating all,the aspects of a miked up Vox......no need for any speaker emulation plug ins etc.....Paul

Me too. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby RUSSET » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:47 am

Have tried my new AC Tone & American Sounds pedals now, through a PA. They do indeed work very well that way, so offer great possibilities. I didn't use them for creating actual Shads lead tones etc., but they work great for general '60s tones & even an almost acoustic rhythm tone with a bit of EQ adjustment. That is, upping the Bass & Treble, & reducing the MIds. For the price you pay these are great value for money & really do work. OK, they are not programmable or patch-saveable, but hey, what do you want for less than £30 each. They are robustly-built pedals that will survive well on a gigging pedalboard.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby noelford » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Well, I've got one. As I said, I thought it might make a decent (and inexpensive) back-up to my main set-up, Jam-Up Pro on iPad into Bose, and I was right. I've only had a couple of hours with it, but am getting some good sounds - best, so far (for guitar instrumentals) as set up in the pic, below. I'm currently running it: Guitar into Alesis Quad GT into AC Tone into Bose. I tried some of the settings described earlier in this thread but aren't sure what folks mean by, say, 'seven' as the setting for a control. Is that seven-o-clock or seven on an imaginary scale of 1 to 10? It would be nice to see some of your settings, folks, as pics.

My dilemma now is that the Quad GT, in its rack case, is a bit big to carry around just as a back-up. Ideally, to be nice and compact I should change that for a Stanley e-Tap pedal or a Catalinbread Echorec. Trouble is, that makes it a lot more pricey, especially as it might only be used occasionally. Ah, dilemmas!
Attachments
IMG_0276.JPG
(232.86 KiB) Downloaded 6915 times
noelford

Postby dakwah » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Hi Noel

thanks for showing your settings

I use mine through the Stanley etap2 and into a pair of edriol MA20 active monitors via a Behringer mixer. Using your settings I have to turn down the bass quite a bit but then I have to when using other settings on other bits of kit e.g. Jam up and Zoom G5, so must be other hardware in my chain.

But sounds very good for such a reasonably price unit. To be honest for home use as good as using a Valve amp.

Do you reckon the voice knob is emulating an AC15 to AC30?

Stan
dakwah

Full Real Name: stanley wan

Postby noelford » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi Stan

You'll need to ask someone with better preserved ears than mine about the AC15/AC30 Voice control thing! I still like those settings for my own set-up, even though they were done in a hurry. Still be good to see other folks' settings, though, for comparison.

Just checked the Stanley site and the eTap pedal is sold out at the moment but there is a Catalinbread Echorec on e~Bay I am watching. Should I really consider spending so much dosh on something that will only be a back-up? Don't answer that!

Cheers

Noel
Last edited by noelford on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noelford

Postby Ian Miller » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi Noel,

Just a thought, how about a Zoom G3. I understand they are very good and I've seen them for as little as £87!

Best Wishes

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

PreviousNext

Return to Gear