Early equipment that I used and wished I kept

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Early equipment that I used and wished I kept

Postby ecca » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:24 pm

I had 2 Binsons in my time and I thought they were rubbish in terms of echo quality, still do.
The digitals were great when they came out for a while ....... but.......... of course now, it's exactly the sound that's wanted !
Distorted echo ? - perfect.
ecca

Postby David Martin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:44 pm

My '63 Jaguar sold to buy wood to make kitchen units in 1969...

And, although I could barely lift it, my '64 AC30 from my "Legend" years sold a few years back to Old Hat in Horncastle. I really miss that amp. The best I ever had...

And my Cunetto Relic Fiesta Red Strat... And...

Oh well... :cry:
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Billyboygretsch » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:17 pm

I bought a Vibra Artiste a few years back and it turned out to be Paul Day's early guitar. So I sold it back to him. He is going to restore it. Amazing how things can turn up. Never seen a Broadway like mine anywhere
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby BrianD » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:43 pm

The earliest stuff I really wish i had hung onto was my AC30 Top Boost (a '62 or '63 model bought in 1967 and sold in 1971); Burns Vibra Atrist (bought in '66 and sold in '71) and my first Watkins Copycat (bought in '65 and sold in '71). I left college in '69 and by '71 was working in London and living in bed-sitters. I thought I was unlikely to play in a band again so sold all my electric gear and bought a Hagstrom 12 string acoustic to play in the flat. Two years later I was married, living in Sussex and back playing in bands so started all over again getting gear!!! I also particularly remember my first Gibson Les Paul - a Goldtop DeLuxe (with the small Epiphone pick-ups) I bought in '74, that guitar really sang - almost played itself!!
BrianD

Full Real Name: Brian Dandridge

Postby Pat Seaman » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:30 am

I started with a Futurama 3 de-luxe (de-luxe?...They had to be joking) which was crap, but started me on the road to ruin, with a Rosetti Lucky 7 amp, which was really terrible.
Moved on to a Sunburst Strat and a Selmer Zodiac Twin 30, which was disappointing and was replaced by a wonderful AC30 TB and a Selmer Truvoice echo unit.
The echo unit was swapped for a useless fuzz unit!
The Strat was replaced in the blues era by a Gibson ES345TD stereo, which was sold to raise money for the deposit on our first house.
25 years on and it started all over again!

Pat.
Pat Seaman

Postby humdrum » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:31 pm

An early piece of equipment that i still lay awake at night wishing i hadn't sold was my Watkins Copycat. What a great tape echo unit that was.....I understand they are like gold dust now.
humdrum

Postby Billyboygretsch » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:49 pm

I remember my first copicat the blue and grey boxed ones. I think I paid £25 for it secondhand. Over the years I had several in different guises. I used to modify tape lengths and all. They were so uncomplicated to use. Great when the tape used to slip - some very strange echo patterns. I keep looking on eBay for an early one but you can reckon on £500. Might get a later model as still miss mine.
A mate of mine had a Gibson 345 and broke the neck on it. He was desperate for money and sold me his 330 with black pick ups for £30. I felt great having sold it for £45
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby ecca » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:03 pm

I had my Copicat nicked in 1963 . It turned up 20 years later , I used to repair things for a local guitar shop. I knew it was mine because my Dad had fitted radiogram legs to the bottom .
ecca

Postby humdrum » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:16 pm

Whilst we are on depressing thoughts another piece of equipment that i sold was a Gibson ES 335 with Bigsby plus a Selmar twin reverb amp both for silly prices cause I needed to pay some bills. the Gibson was a 1964 model......What would that be worth today?
humdrum

Postby Pol » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:28 pm

humdrum wrote:Whilst we are on depressing thoughts another piece of equipment that i sold was a Gibson ES 335 with Bigsby plus a Selmar twin reverb amp both for silly prices cause I needed to pay some bills. the Gibson was a 1964 model......What would that be worth today?

Recent offer from a well renowned dealer http://guitars.com/inventory/eh6613-1964-gibson-es-335

Pol
Pol

PreviousNext

Return to Gear