New guitars

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, George Geddes

Re: New guitars

Postby dave robinson » 28 Mar 2015, 09:56

RUSSET wrote:I too got a Squier CV '50s Tele about 3 years ago after being amazed at particularly the quality of the neck & action. Like Dave, I bought the White Blonde model, as I already had a Butterscotch Tele, in the Mex Baja Tele model. The Squier is a real quality guitar, apart maybe from the electrics which are typical far East budget quality. I have since replaced the pickups with some Custom shop Broadcaster versions, which I already had in my spares, & have also put a White scratchplate on it, which is my personal taste. No one could be disappointed at this guitar or the price of it.

Tony.

Did those Broadcaster pickups make a big difference Tony ? I heard a rumour that these were fitted wth Toneriders and they do sound pretty authentic anyway. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Ian Miller » 28 Mar 2015, 10:10

I think the Brian May has a 24'' scale length, which I am sure I would find more comfortable, given my advanced years and arthritis in the thumb joints!
How do you find it?
Also, any chance of a Shads style demo?

Ian
Ian Miller

Postby dave robinson » 28 Mar 2015, 10:54

Hi Ian, you're right about the scale length and it's a dream to play, I have never had so much sustain when needed. Yes it does a great Shadows/Hank sound and I will play something and post it for you, do you have a preference ? My respect for Brian May has increased vastly since I got this guitar, there's such a great palette of tones from which to choose. All the Strat tones are available and by selecting combinations of pickups and using the phase buttons it's easy to hear the Brian May sounds. I never thought I would have one of these, but I'm so glad I found it. It's more useful than the Gibson ES-175 that I just bought and in it's own way just as nice to look at. It looks very much like Brian's Red Special as it has a mahogany bound body and mahogany neck stained in cherry, black pick-guard with an ebony fingerboard. The pickups sound exquisite and the trem is one of the smoothest I've ever played. They do come in a variety of interesting colour options. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Ian Miller » 28 Mar 2015, 12:15

Hi Dave,

How about Atlantis or perhaps one of your favourites.

Thanks

Ian
Ian Miller

Postby dave robinson » 28 Mar 2015, 13:11

Paul G Shaw wrote:I used to play in an 18 piece big band in the 60's at a ballroom in Bolton and the other guitarist had the 4 pickup Burns Black Bison....a monster guitar....gold cover over the tuning pegs and a fabulous action and sound.....lIthink he still has it and hasn't played since that band in 1969......I wonder if he knows it's value.....Paul....

Bolton Palais by any chance ? We did that venue frequently during 1966 on Monday nights when I was with Frankenstein & Monsters - great times as I had just turned pro. In retrospect I wasn't keen on the act though, it was just a way of going full time and travelling. It wasn't long after that I joined Dave Berry for about five years solid, we had to fight for a night off. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Billyboygretsch » 28 Mar 2015, 13:18

A lot of the Brian May model came from the Burns Vibra Artiste de luxe. Three switches off in/ out of phase. Short scale I think 23.75" red/ black 24 frets heeless neck Tri Sonic pick ups. Jim should have developed the guitar and electronics more but went Bison / Marvin. Brian May did and look what he has done. At the time I guess JB made the correct decision
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.91 KiB) Viewed 6676 times
Billyboygretsch

Postby George Geddes » 28 Mar 2015, 13:45

Brian May has written a fascinationg book about the Red Special; great photos of the original, and all the commercially produced versions produced by Guild, Burns and his own company.

George
George Geddes

Postby dave robinson » 28 Mar 2015, 15:57

Paul G Shaw wrote:
dave robinson wrote:
Paul G Shaw wrote:I used to play in an 18 piece big band in the 60's at a ballroom in Bolton and the other guitarist had the 4 pickup Burns Black Bison....a monster guitar....gold cover over the tuning pegs and a fabulous action and sound.....lIthink he still has it and hasn't played since that band in 1969......I wonder if he knows it's value.....Paul....

Bolton Palais by any chance ? We did that venue frequently during 1966 on Monday nights when I was with Frankenstein & Monsters - great times as I had just turned pro. In retrospect I wasn't keen on the act though, it was just a way of going full time and travelling. It wasn't long after that I joined Dave Berry for about five years solid, we had to fight for a night off. :)

Hi Dave....not the Palais....The Navada Ballroom...I was offered a job with Les Moss though in 69 when we all got the sack...I remember seeing F and the Monsters at the Palais......chasing youngs girls round the balcony.....wouldn't be allowed these days.....have you still got your skeleton costume?...Paul

Thankfully not ! :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby RUSSET » 28 Mar 2015, 20:25

Quote : Did those Broadcaster pickups make a big difference Tony ? I heard a rumour that these were fitted with Toneriders and they do sound pretty authentic anyway. :)
Yes Dave, I heard that story too. I can't quite remember what was printed on the back of the pickups when I removed them, but I have a feeling that it said something like Squier Vintage '50s or something. I have now sold them inside another cheapo Tele that I had. The reason I changed the pickups in the Squier Tele was that, although the basic body & neck were great, I felt that particularly the bridge pickup was a little harsh/brittle, although the neck one wasn't too bad.
The CS Broadcasters sound a little fuller/warmer & just add that bit of quality tone that the Squier pickups didn't quite have. Now I have a classy instrument with some classy pickups.
Maybe I was a bit unlucky with the particular instrument I bought, & maybe the body wood wasn't the best of the batch; who knows ? But I think the pickup change helped a bit. You'll know how you can play two similar guitars in a store & they can sound different. I bought mine online, though.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby dave robinson » 28 Mar 2015, 20:37

Thanks Tony, I haven't noticed any harshness on my one, perhaps I've dropped on a good one. It sounds slightly different to my Jap 62 reissue, but I put that down to it having a pine body and maple board, where the 62 has an alder body and rosewood board & the pickups on that one are USA Texas Specials. In truth I rarely play either these days, as I always find that I need the trem and now the Brian May has arrived I am enjoying the different options that offers. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Gear