eBay optimist or what?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

eBay optimist or what?

Postby Martyn » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:47 am

Spotted this (presumably genuine?) early strat up for auction and out of curiosity I asked what reserve he'd set.
He replied: £35,000! :o
Now can I afford it as a Christmas pressie to myself, I wonder? :lolno: I think he's taking the wotsit, or is he? He has two other guitars for sale and it's interesting that all three allegedly have various bids in, but when I just looked each was currently sitting at £115.13, which seemed a little odd. :problem:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

So who's going to be bidding on this one, then?

Cheers and Merry Christmas,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Re: eBay optimist or what?

Postby aardvarkd » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:14 am

The mention of 'clay pots' presumably indicates that this is an early Neolithic Strat incorprating some very basic potttery in its structure? Mark Knopfler refers to his '54 model as 'Jurassic' but this one appears to come from an slightly later stage of civilized history. (I assume he means 'clay dots'.)
aardvarkd

Postby alanbakewell » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:33 am

I don't see a problem. The bloke has 100% positive feedback he must be O.K.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby Mike Honey » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:18 pm

He could be winding you up. i personally wouldnt tell anybody the reserve price. I could see it going for between 7-11,000 though and even more at a conventional auction.

mike
Mike Honey

Postby Martyn » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:27 pm

alanbakewell wrote:I don't see a problem. The bloke has 100% positive feedback he must be O.K.

I'm not really doubting his authenticity, merely pointing out some slight anomolies, but mostly just amazed at the price anticipated for a guitar. If it had some sort of provenance, such as played and owned by . . . etc, I could perhaps understand someone wanting to own a specific piece of musical history. But my 1960s Flamingo Pink (as it was then known - Fiesta Red wasn't a paint colour name used back in that period) strat with rosewood fingerboard and single ply pleckplate, which I once owned in my long-gone youth, wasn't very good (putting it mildly) and certainly wouldn't compare well with my current mex strat in terms of sound quality or playability.

I can understand folk wanting to own an early strat for a multitude of reasons but if mine ever came up for auction I'd possibly make a reasonable bid on it purely as an item of personal nostalgia to hang on a wall, but even if it did play and sound well I'd certainly not consider paying this sort of money for it, even if I could afford to, which I can't. It's not sour grapes as such things have never struck me that way, merely mild astonishment.

If you picked up my old strat to play it, without being aware of its age etc, I doubt you'd choose it over another more recent item, which is why I didn't own it for long. Call me cynical, if you will, but I just feel some are cashing in on a mythology that in reality doesn't always bear close scrutiny or analysis. People are free to bid on and buy anything, of course. :|
Martyn

Postby alanbakewell » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:31 pm

Martyn, you missed the irony. He has 100% positive feedback on one transaction for about 40 quid. :roll:

Merry Christmas, :D

Cheers, Alan.
alanbakewell

Postby Martyn » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:38 pm

Sorry - got a bit of a streaming cold at the moment and brain's not quite functioning properly. I've only just spotted that feedback detail - doh! :roll:

Merry Christmas to you too. :)
Martyn

Postby neil2726 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:48 pm

For £35,000 you could get 35 really good guitars at a grand each!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby alanbakewell » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:09 pm

I'm going to need to check that with a calculator and come back to you Neil. :?
alanbakewell

Postby OLDEREK » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:22 pm

:D :D :D :D
OLDEREK

Next

Return to Gear