eBay optimist or what?

For anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units inc eTap plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: eBay optimist or what?

Postby Mike Honey » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:04 pm

Yes theres a lot to be said for owning an old strat but 63/64? Not good. The quality was already starting to go down prior to CBS takeover in '65. you gotta remember that the strat lost a lot of its popularity in the early sixties. the Shads were considered too smooth and most bands used Gibson 335;s, Gretch, or other semis, particulary after the Beatles were at the top. Every street had a band going!

mike
Mike Honey

Postby Amanda » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:10 pm

Strange how all three of the guitars he's got on are at £115!

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby Martyn » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:31 pm

Amanda wrote:Strange how all three of the guitars he's got on are at £115!

Amanda

My thoughts entirely and with varying numbers of 'bids' allegedly already made for each item I hardly think it likely the same total amount on each would be the result, somehow. Coincidence? I don't think so.

I think if I were auctioning off an early strat, I'd surely start the bidding at something sensible that would more likely grab a browser's attention - or maybe that's the plan: entice you in with a low opening price? It made me spot it, so maybe his plan works . . .
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby neil2726 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:41 am

Thats the figure I got from my wind up calculator Alan! ;)
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby alanbakewell » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:52 am

Now you're just showing off aren't you Neil? :lol:
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby StuartD » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:42 am

Mike Honey wrote:Yes theres a lot to be said for owning an old strat but 63/64? Not good. The quality was already starting to go down prior to CBS takeover in '65. you gotta remember that the strat lost a lot of its popularity in the early sixties. the Shads were considered too smooth and most bands used Gibson 335;s, Gretch, or other semis, particulary after the Beatles were at the top. Every street had a band going!

mike

I have a 62 Fiesta Red Strat and a 1960 Custom Bound Edge Tele and i can tell you that they sound amazing, play amazing and would knock spots off of the jap and Mexican stuff that's out there today. Wouldn't say they were worth the price this guy's looking for but you don't have to mess with pickups, bridges etc try to get something that's not quite there. It's all there and it's all good!! Well it is on my two!

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby neil2726 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:24 pm

Didnt you know I am at the cutting edge of technolgy Alan? My mobile fones so old I have to carry it a brief case - too big for my pockets. :D
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Bluesnote » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:39 pm

Mike Honey wrote:Yes theres a lot to be said for owning an old strat but 63/64? Not good. The quality was already starting to go down prior to CBS takeover in '65. you gotta remember that the strat lost a lot of its popularity in the early sixties. the Shads were considered too smooth and most bands used Gibson 335;s, Gretch, or other semis, particulary after the Beatles were at the top. Every street had a band going!

mike

So true Mike. I myself after many years craving a Strat and never being able to afford one, all of a sudden dropped the notion in favour of a semi-accoustic, as that was all the rage at the time and of course the different sound they gave for the change in music. I even sold my Copycat and got a fuzz box and some other stuff, completely dropping all the Shads music in favour of the new music era. Some of the guys that did play Strats were puttin humbuckers in them to sound like Gibsons :roll: Bet they now wish they had'nt, assuming they are still playing that is, or still here for that matter :lol:
Bluesnote

Postby Olsson » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:28 am

Hello

I think it is something wrong whit that strat. The dots at the 12:th fret is not correct.

Bertil
Olsson

Full Real Name: Bertil Olsson

Postby BrianD » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:14 am

It could be he wants to find buyers he can negotiate with off-line and doesn't want to be forced into selling at a price he doesn't find acceptable - or am I just a cynic.
BrianD

Full Real Name: Brian Dandridge

PreviousNext

Return to Gear