Burns Shad O Tone pedal

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Burns Shad O Tone pedal

Postby anniv 63 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:06 pm

Thanks for that info David. I always thought you only got the tone sweep on the side to side movement
as per the original DeArmond Pedal e.g. Now That Your Gone which I have seen you playing I think?
Will compare the pedals after a cotton bud to the ears!! and dig out the above B/T again.

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby David Martin » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:52 am

Thanks Noel and Gary... Maybe just an iPad problem then?
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby noelford » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:29 pm

Yes, that is the problem, David. You can't download and work with files on an iPad the way you do with a 'normal' computer, it's a different sort of platform completely..
noelford

Postby JimN » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:27 pm

anniv 63 wrote:I obtained one about 10 years ago,but overall was a bit disappointed with the depth of the volume swell.
However it could be down to other factors in the connection links to the other effects and amp.
Time to extract it from its original box and perhaps persevere with it.!!!!
Funnily enough a very cheap Behringer Pedal I found had a better swell and a knob to adjust the volume swell
to a higher level.

Mike

I don't see how the Shad-O-Tone pedal can control tone and volume at the same time. It only has one single-ganged pot inside. It's either wired as a volume control or a tone control. It can't be both (and it's wired as a tone control).

If it were equipped with a double-ganged pot, it could easily be wired to act as a volume and tone control, though obviously without the independent control or function of either mode.

The hard fact is that there is simply no substitute for the DeArmond 610 pedal: not even the Fender tone/volume pedal (though the Fender is better than the SoT).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dave robinson » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:04 pm

I agree with Jim there, I briefly owned the Shad-o-tone and quickly discarded it because there was a lot missing from the tone sweep by comparison and it shows on David's recording. You can hear some change but not the same intesity as the DeArmond. I've owned several 610s having needed one for working with Dave Berry for seven years back in the day and I sold my last one to Jim, who loves 'em to bits. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:18 am

I remember that day well. Having no DeArmond pedal to compare it with, we just heard David playing the Shad-o-Tone and the effect was very much in the ball park of our expectation. As a club demo, I thought it came off remarkably well. Not for the purist maybe, but a good general gigging tool at what was an affordable price.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby David Martin » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:50 pm

Interesting how we hear things differently... I own two 610s and still reckon that for something of relatively modest cost the SOT does well...

Clearly it cannot modulate volume, it seeks to replicate the tone sweep. And I contend - much to the irritation of others - that is more important than the volume element.
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby JimN » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:27 pm

I agree that the tone shift is the more important element of the effect. But the volume aspect is not unimportant and is an integral part of it.

The effect - certainly as used by Hank - consists of an increase in volume and a move from bass to treble at the same time.

There's more to it than just that, of course. The DeArmond's tone control uses a double-ganged pot for the wider tonal sweep described by Robbo above.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:01 am

I think we are all saying the same things actually.

We know the DeArmond allows independent control of both volume and tone while the Shad-o-Tone affects tone only.

We know the Shadows used the DeArmond and so only a DeArmond kind of device can offer the same result.

We also know the Shad-o-Tone's ability to affect the tone allows a player to produce effects not unlike the more significant component of the DeArmond, even though the result cannot be the same.

Surely it's a question of what's important to you and how much money you want to spend? A bit like the decision whether to buy a H&C echo unit or go for an eTap, Zoom, TVS .....
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby David Martin » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:24 am

Exactly...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin