Burns Shad O Tone pedal

For anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units inc eTap plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Burns Shad O Tone pedal

Postby dave robinson » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:16 am

I was looking at it from the point of view of emulating the sound on 'The Crying Game' which is where it fell short for me, which makes it depend upon how much you want it to sound 'right'. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:31 pm

If I were wanting to replicate the weeping guitar on The Crying Game I would:

1) Insist on a DeArmond
2) Get you to play it!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby David Martin » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:44 pm

So would I... :D
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby dave robinson » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:17 pm

I'm afraid I'm not as good as I was on that particular tune these days since my hands were affected by the chemo. There's a nice little run down at the end of the solo that I can no longer play fluently, although I've heard Danny Martin nail it perfectly. Big Jim was a tremendous player and he invented that solo. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby RayL » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:33 am

As Big Jim Sullivan and the DeArmond pedal have been mentioned perhaps I could add that the soon-to-be-released album by The Triumphs, Meek And Wild, includes an instrumental Big Jim (inspired by BJS) in which Jim Nugent guests on a very tasty solo using his Les Paul and DeArmond 610. As producer, I asked Jim to particularly feature the volume and tone combinations that are possible.
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby noelford » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:38 am

dave robinson wrote:I'm afraid I'm not as good as I was on that particular tune these days since my hands were affected by the chemo. There's a nice little run down at the end of the solo that I can no longer play fluently, although I've heard Danny Martin nail it perfectly. Big Jim was a tremendous player and he invented that solo. :)

Yes, it's a tricky little run, especially when using a DeArmond tone and volume sweep. These days, I play the whole of The Crying Game as an instrumental, keeping that run in, but using just a Morley volume pedal. I did have a Fender Vol/Tone pedal, but found that it often compromised the tone, taking some of the top off, even with the pedal flat down. And that was always the problem I had (back in the sixties) with the DeArmond, with its nylon ratchets. Sounded great when working properly, but I was always having to fiddle with it to make sure the ratchets were fully opening the pots.

I did, at one time, have a Shad O Tone pedal, but I can't honestly remember why I couldn't get on with it. I'm now happy with a simple violining effect, using the Morley.
noelford

Postby Rjanuarsa » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:09 am

David Martin wrote:Interesting how we hear things differently... I own two 610s and still reckon that for something of relatively modest cost the SOT does well...

Clearly it cannot modulate volume, it seeks to replicate the tone sweep. And I contend - much to the irritation of others - that is more important than the volume element.

I tend to agree with David on this. I think for most of Shads tone, volume control on the Dearmond is not critical, almost not necessary.
Great version on Lady Penelope David. I did my version a while ago. Very fun tune to play.

I should try "Crying Game" soon :)

Regards,
Robby
From a hot 38 degrees Sydney Australia
Rjanuarsa

Full Real Name: Robby Januarsa

Postby Leighton » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:38 pm

Hi All - I’ve made a quick vid of a Shad-o-Tone pedal which has come into my workshop for repair. If anyone has experience of these pedals i would be grateful if you could let me know if it looks like it is operating in the correct way (i.e. rock forward to increase tone/volume and rock back to reduce tone/volume.)
I’ve been told that it should be the other way round (rock back for more treble/volume.....) but that would mean that it works differently to every other pedal out there that I’m aware of.
I thought I’d see if anyone can confirm before I charge a customer for re-wiring It!!!
Many thanks... here’s the link....

Leighton

Full Real Name: leighton jennings

Postby AlanMcKillop » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:18 pm

Not sure that sounds quite right, go back to the 7th post on the first page of this thread and you’ll hear how it should sound.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby dave robinson » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:55 pm

Rock forward to increase Volume & Treble - every time. :)
Incidentally, my hands healed enough to be able to play The Crying Game correctly again and I have another DeArmond 610 as I am on Berry's subs bench again. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Gear