The old Fiesta Red dispute

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The old Fiesta Red dispute

Postby RUSSET » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:04 am

Sorry if I've stirred up the hornet's nest again. If you were there in the '60s, looking through music store windows, you got the genuine colour lit by the sunlight pouring in from outside, & they were definitely a milky Pink shade. I don't know what shade the original '59 Strat that Cliff bought for Hank was, because we had to rely on black & white TV & photos in magazines mainly. There were colour photos on record covers, but we all know that those are usually made under studio lighting. The '60s was in Black & White ! But those Rosewood board '60s Strats were actually Pink in the sunlight.
Check out a vintage guitar dealer & you may well find he has an example. Ecca is quite right.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Graylion » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:13 pm

I'm with you Tony. Definitely a shade of pink (see my earlier post). I'm basing my recollection on the Strats I actually played/handled when brand new in the shops in the early 60s when they began to be imported. Unfortunately, even if you find a museum piece it won't tell you what the colour really was 50-60 years ago as colours fade - even if stored in a darkened airtight vault! So we won't ever be able to prove it, other that the fact that we know for certain Hank's (and others from the earliest imports) were not bright red - so-called "Fiesta". Equally no-one can prove different :lol: .
Graylion

Postby Tigerdaisy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:58 pm

'a shade of pink...' Lol! basically so called pink is red with white mixed with it. A 'shade' is a colour with black mixed with it... A colour with both white and black mixed in with it would be a 'smoked' colour. Actually I don't know what people mean when they say 'pink' as ladies tend to call a cool red pink, that's a red with an amount of blue mixed in or going towards magenta... Looking at the early shot of Hank in Boyfriend magazine I'd say it was a cool red, which is how Bruce has had the guitar painted.
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby dave robinson » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:40 am

There is no colour dispute, the guitar at the top of the photograph is an all original 1959 Stratocaster, 170 digits away (34516) from Hank's 34346 and the one next to it is my AVRI from 1992. The colours are identical, fiesta red which did exist in 1959.
The 1959 Strat was bought from Manny's in New York about twenty years ago, it once belonged to blues singer Taj Mahal who actually wanted it back as he regretted selling it. It's insured for over £50,000 and still in my friend's possession today.
Can we put this to bed now please? :)
B27E0267-8924-42E9-B4E5-AE54E80E21EC.jpeg
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Previous

Return to Gear