VOX VT40 Amp & ZOOM G2

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

VOX VT40 Amp & ZOOM G2

Postby Alexis Lambert » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:05 am

I have a VOX VT40 amp & have got a ZOOM G2 with the Charlie Hall patch installed. I can't seem to get it working, does anyone know if it's compatible?
I'm a beginner & would like the Hank sound. The amp comes with alot of preset amps & effects but the manual doesn't exactly read easy to me. I literally have all the knobs turned to max as i can't work out what they do.
Alexis Lambert

Re: VOX VT40 Amp & ZOOM G2

Postby Stu's Dad » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:37 pm

Alexis,

I've got a VT20+ and a Zoom G7, and they work very well together. First of all, set Amp select to Manual and select your amp - there are some great amp sounds there but I find for Shadows material the AC30 Heritage (Orange light) is the best. Set the gain at about 11 o'clock, pre-amp volume about 1 o'clock, then all your tones around 12 0'clock. That's only a starting point for your tones, tweak them anywhere between 10 and 2 o'clock to suit yourself. Make sure to set the Tuner/Bypass on.

You didn't mention your guitar, so I'm assuming you've got a decent Strat. If you can't get near with those settings there's some other unknown factor stopping you. I'm using a Squier Classic Vibe 50s, which comes with vintage Fender pickups, and my sound's spot on.

Regards,

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby RUSSET » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi Alexis,
I have used the Zoom G2 for many years now, & in a gigging situation too. It is a great little pedal & should produce most of the 'Shads' tones & echoes that you will ever need, near enough to be imperceptible to any audience, other than Shads anoraks. I like it that much that I bought another, as a spare.
The first thing to do is to make the effort to study the manual. There is no alternative to making sure you know how your pedal does what it does. It does pay dividends in the end.
Secondly, make sure you have your leads connected in the correct way. I know it may sound a bit silly, but I too have made the mistake of putting the wrong jack in the wrong socket, especially in stage lighting, & of course, your signal path is interrupted. The guitar lead into the Zoom input socket, & the Zoom output patch lead into the amp input socket. ;)
Thirdly, you need to choose the Clean amp model on the Vox, without too much Gain on it. You are, in effect, using two pre-amps in the signal chain. One in the Zoom & another in the Vox. This will distort the sound if the total gain is set too high.

All the best, Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Alexis Lambert » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:17 am

Thanks very much for all your help guys.

I have a Fender Strat that i was lucky to win in a Fender competition & about 2 months prior to that i bought a Custom Shop Strat with abby pick ups, it's the same spec as the 1 originally purchased by Cliff. That was bought earlier than i intended on getting 1 but the price was too good. I've only been learning for 2 years, it's a struggle but I enjoy it. I was brought up on Hank & the Shads & they were my reason for finally taking lessons.
Alexis Lambert

Postby chaddman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi Alexis, I have the VOX VT80 and ZOOM G3X you need to set the amp to manual as instructed by Stu`s Dad and select the AC30, I set my gain at 10 O`clock and everything else at 12 remember to switch all the different effects on and then off before storing the setting.Hope this helps.Cheers Phil. :D
chaddman

Full Real Name: Phil Holmes

Postby Hunt1967 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:01 pm

Hi Alexis I've only just started to really look at this site so sorry it's a bit late I to have only been playing for a few years and had some great help from Charlie halls site, I started with the zoom G2 and a classic vibe 50s, I got into trying to perfect my tone spending far to much for a home player, I bought the zoom G3 thinking newer would be better but to be honest the G2 was more than good enough, at first I didn't bypass the effects correctly it's mentioned in this post
Hunt1967

Return to Gear