H and C echo V Blue Nebula echo

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: H and C echo V Blue Nebula echo

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:55 am

Echotapper wrote:Thanks Dave for your answer!

I fully agree with you that echoes are secondary to the skill of the player to produce a sound that's appealing to the listeners/audience. These days, with sofisticated hardware, most of the offerings are very closely related and differences are not detected by untrained ears anymore. Also, there is a tendency these days by pro-semi pro's to have the device not acting as a tape/disc device but just echo generations without artifacts!

Regards,
Piet

I recently acquired a Gemini III pedal as I was curious as to how it would colour the sound. I have to say that it is superb and adds the 'magic' that we all love - whichever echo device is used. I wish I had been able to try this when it was introduced all those years ago. I would have bought one instantly.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:57 am

I have been given a Blue Nebula by my my friend Tony Parnham as it needed a small repair.
I tried it out over the weekend after Mick at Stanley FX had sorted it out and I have to say that to me, it sounds as good as anything that I have heard or owned, including the ESE Echomatic, TVS3 and the H&C, though some may not be happy that I think that, but it is what it is. These machines are all excellent but the Blue Nebula comes in at under £250 !
Piet did tell me a couple of years ago that I would be impressed with the later version of his eTap and he was spot on.
I’m going to try it over the next few weeks and hopefully enjoy what it does for my very humble set up.
So far just playing to a few tracks in the house and studio, I am delighted with it. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby JimN » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:19 pm

That reminds me...

I have an absolutely unused Blue Nebula here for sale (on behalf of an American friend), immaculate and still in its box.

Asking £200.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby artyman » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:06 pm

JimN wrote:That reminds me...

I have an absolutely unused Blue Nebula here for sale (on behalf of an American friend), immaculate and still in its box.

Asking £200.

Hi Jim I have sent you a PM
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby JimN » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:20 pm

artyman wrote:
JimN wrote:That reminds me...

Asking £200.

Hi Jim I have sent you a PM

Hello, Ken.

I have emailed you in response to the PM.

JN
JimN

Postby Trojun » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:39 pm

Ive just bought a Blue Nebula as a replacement for my Magicstomp with Echotappers which has finally packed in. Im impressed, they have certainly done a lot of work to get to this level of accuracy, as well as the echos the reverbs are fabulous.
Dave
Trojun

Full Real Name: Dave Corner

Postby dave robinson » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:24 pm

I’ve played with my Blue Nebula every day since it came back and will try it at our Thursday night bash tomorrow night.
I’m struggling to hear any difference to the sound of the Hall & Collins so it’s ticking all the boxes for me.
I will compare them and may do a demo video, comparing with the sound from the valve driven Echolette and without turning it into a contest, purely as an exercise in practicality. I’ll throw the Watkins Copicat IC 400 in the mix too as that is transistor powered and has the benefit of vari-speed. Charlie Watkins once told me if I was ever thinking of buying an old Copicat, the IC400 was in his opinion his best effort. The one I found is in mint condition and was discarded by actor / comedian Stan Stennett in favour of the Boss Delay Pedal when it was introduced. Stan was a good guitarist and I remember him with a Gibson L4 (I think), or it could have been a Barney Kessel. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby JimN » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:34 pm

Stan Stennett was well-known for using a Gibson Barney Kessel (Standard model) from the early 1960s onward, but he might well have owned an L4C (or perhaps an ES-175 which is effectively the electric version of the L4C). He definitely owned a few guitars.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/640x360/p01h33qv.jpg

https://www.penarthtimes.co.uk/resources/images/2969368.jpg?display=1&htype=100000&type=responsive-gallery
JimN

Postby dave robinson » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:52 pm

JimN wrote:Stan Stennett was well-known for using a Gibson Barney Kessel (Standard model) from the early 1960s onward, but he might well have owned an L4C (or perhaps an ES-175 which is effectively the electric version of the L4C). He definitely owned a few guitars.

https://www.penarthtimes.co.uk/resources/images/2969368.jpg?display=1&htype=100000&type=responsive-gallery

I played his double cut Barney Kessel one in 1971 during the summer season in Southport. Stan taught me the chords to ‘September Song’ by Walter Houston, he was doing it in his act on that show. Happy days :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby JimN » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:33 pm

dave robinson wrote:
JimN wrote:Stan Stennett was well-known for using a Gibson Barney Kessel (Standard model) from the early 1960s onward, but he might well have owned an L4C (or perhaps an ES-175 which is effectively the electric version of the L4C). He definitely owned a few guitars.

I played his double cut Barney Kessel one in 1971 during the summer season in Southport. Stan taught me the chords to ‘September Song’ by Walter Houston, he was doing it in his act on that show. Happy days :)

I only ever got my hands on two genuine Gibson Kessel guitars. One (a Custom) belonged to a female solo artiste who did a country act around the RAF and USAAF bases back in the seventies, and another (a Standard) I was offered from "under the counter" for £450 by a shop in Newton le Willows. I'd bought a few things from him, including an end of line Gretsch (Nashville) when Baldwin ceased making guitars. I just didn't have £450 or any easy way to lay my hands on it. And that Kessel had been fitted with a Bigsby, which I saw as a drawback.

PS: I appeared in a Radio 4 programme in which Stan also appeared, along with Petula Clark, Norman Wisdom and Bob Monkhouse. And our own Noel Ford from this discussion board.
JimN

PreviousNext

Return to Gear