Anybody own a Guyatone/Antoria LG50?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Anybody own a Guyatone/Antoria LG50?

Postby Bob K » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:31 pm

Mine looks all original, but I'm curious about the pickup selector switch settings. Middle position appears to be bridge pickup only. I'd like to know if this is the case with other LG50's of the same era (1959 or so). With modern guitars one can tap the pickups to figure out which are engaged, but these things are so microphonic it's hard to tell because you can tap anywhere on the pickguard and it echoes like crazy :lol: .
Anyway, I'd appreciate the comparison to other LG50's here.
Thanks,
Bob
Bob K

Re: Anybody own a Guyatone/Antoria LG50?

Postby pinktwanger » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:37 am

Hi Bob
I had one in 1959 and it had normal 3 position pickup switching as you would expect. Neck only, neck+ bridge and bridge only. Hope that helps.
Ben
pinktwanger

Full Real Name: Ben Bennett

Postby Hank2k » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:21 pm

I have an eastwood LG50 which is a modern replica and that has the same 3 way switch and it operates as per telecaster etc

1. Bridge.
2. Bridge and Neck
3. Neck
Hank2k

Postby Bob K » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:15 pm

Thank you, gentlemen - I appreciate the advice.
Bob
Bob K

Postby Gatwick1946 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:21 pm

Hi Bob,

I have dug out my Antoria/Guyatone to see if I can assist.

The pick-up selector has three positions - it also has on it, the letters S and either W or M, depending on the direction from which you view the switch.

If the switch is turned towards the neck, this selects the neck pickup. Turn it then towards the bridge and this powers up both pickups. Turn it towards the bridge again and this selects the bridge pickup.

The model number sticker on the underside of the headstock is very small and faded. I cannot be sure if it reads LG60H or LG50B ???.

I agree that the pickups are very microphonic - I believe this accounts for the clicking noises on The Drifters' recording of "Drifting".

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby Bob K » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Thank you, Christopher. I may take a look at the selector switch and related wiring to make sure it appears in order.
Bob
Bob K

Postby cockroach » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:41 am

Some of the old German made pickup selectors (like Framus, Hoyer used etc) had that sort of setup..

They also used rotary switches like the Guyatone/Antoria- '1, 2, 1+2, rather than the usual toggle switch layout of 1,1+2, 2...
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:49 pm

To find out which pickup is activated, you could try holding a tuning fork over each in turn.

(Don't forget to tap it on something first.)
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby Gatwick1946 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:28 pm

Hi Bob,

PS I forgot to mention, if you go to this website's board, 'Guitars, Amps & Effects', and look for the old post named 'GUYATONE LG60 '59, 1st February 2012 and scroll through the entries, there are some pictures of my Antoria/GUYATONE.

I do not think they stuck rigidly to a standard spec when building these old guitars back in the 1950's.

PPS If you go on YOUTUBE and do a search on GUYATONE, scroll down to a site by a guy using the moniker 'drowninginguitars', you will see an American gent demonstrating several models of old Guyatones. Just thought I would mention this in case you were not already aware of it.

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Return to Gear