Which Hank Marvin Strat?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Which Hank Marvin Strat?

Postby hoffers » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi all,

I've been off here for so long that I forgot my passwords!!!

Although my main Strat is a hand-built Alan Brason model, I'd like to get another HM type Strat and wondered what my options are.
I've no idea what's currently about and I don't really want a top end jobbie but keep seeing Mexican, Japanese and Squire's mentioned online.
Any advice will be appreciated. Looking to spend £500 max.

ta much

Tony H (Hoffers)

The Shadows - All Their Own Work
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1201031063282765/
hoffers

Re: Which Hank Marvin Strat?

Postby JimTidmarsh » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:21 pm

Tony

I know someone who might have a suitable guitar for sale - I've told him to look at your post.

Jim
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby hoffers » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:25 pm

Thanks Jim
hoffers

Postby RUSSET » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi Hoffers,
I presume you aren't talking about a second-hand Strat; just the new ones ? The reasonably priced ones are the Fender Japan '60s Strat, with a basswood body, about £600. The Fender Mex '50s Strat. And, the Squier China Classic Vibe series '50s Strat. There is also a Squier 'Simon Neal' sign. Strat, that is effectively a '60s Strat in Fiesta Red. The first & last have Rosewood boards , & the '50s ones, of course, have Maple.
These are all perfectly good guitars in the right colours, & won't let you down. The Squiers do tend to have those thin soft alloy trem blocks, but can easily be upgraded to a Steel one.

Tony.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/525150494 ... fiesta-red
RUSSET

Postby hoffers » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:29 pm

RUSSET wrote:Hi Hoffers,
I presume you aren't talking about a second-hand Strat; just the new ones ? The reasonably priced ones are the Fender Japan '60s Strat, with a basswood body, about £600. The Fender Mex '50s Strat. And, the Squier China Classic Vibe series '50s Strat. There is also a Squier 'Simon Neal' sign. Strat, that is effectively a '60s Strat in Fiesta Red. The first & last have Rosewood boards , & the '50s ones, of course, have Maple.
These are all perfectly good guitars in the right colours, & won't let you down. The Squiers do tend to have those thin soft alloy trem blocks, but can easily be upgraded to a Steel one.

Tony.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/525150494 ... fiesta-red

Hi Tony,

Thanx for your in-depth reply, some interesting guitars that you suggest. I was thinking second-hand as it happens as I didn't know about the current models. I'll look into it. Thanks again
Hoffs
hoffers

Postby dave robinson » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Which Hank Marvin Strat ?

None of them for me, his was a run of the mill production mode with gold hardware. Anything else you are just ripped off.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Phil McGarrick » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi Tony,
As you already have an Alan Brason Strat - anything you buy for £500 tops would be a disappointment .
A Fender 56 Nos with the Gold H/W is double the price of the AB and no better.
Maybe you want to have two guitars with different gauge strings like Hank had ? shame Alan is retired from making them.

Cheers Phil
Phil McGarrick

Full Real Name: Philip McGarrick

Return to Gear