Amp Technician Croydon Area

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Amp Technician Croydon Area

Postby Uncleboko » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:19 pm

Can anyone recommend an amp technician in the Croydon/Surrey area? I fired up my Carvin X60 today for the first time in a couple of years and found the channel volume controls no longer operate smoothly, going from silent to full volume in a fraction of it's turn, with much crackle and pop. The reverb doesn't work either but I'm not too fussed about that. I sprayed the pots with WD40 but I think the problem runs deeper than that.

I'm not too keen on poking around inside with 400+ volts flying around!!
Uncleboko

Full Real Name: Stephen Giles

Re: Amp Technician Croydon Area

Postby bazmusicman » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:04 pm

WD40 is the worst thing to spray on electrics. Go to Maplins and get some 'contact cleaner spray' and try that.
Regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby Uncleboko » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:39 pm

bazmusicman wrote:WD40 is the worst thing to spray on electrics. Go to Maplins and get some 'contact cleaner spray' and try that.
Regards,
Baz.

Thanks, but will I ever leave Maplins without wishing to shoot the idiots working there!!
Uncleboko

Postby bazmusicman » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:02 pm

Uncleboko wrote:
bazmusicman wrote:WD40 is the worst thing to spray on electrics. Go to Maplins and get some 'contact cleaner spray' and try that.
Regards,
Baz.

Thanks, but will I ever leave Maplins without wishing to shoot the idiots working there!!

I know what you mean!!! Its best to look up what you want, find it in the shop, then just go and pay for it!
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby Uncleboko » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:36 pm

I used to go to the original London Maplin shop between Burnt Oak and Edgware, excellent service and excellent stock of electronic components.
Uncleboko

Return to Gear