Vox Amplug2 AC30 going faulty

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Vox Amplug2 AC30 going faulty

Postby SJB » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:47 pm

I purchased the Amplug2 AC30 just over a year ago and now the effects have failed.
The unit functions ok - but when any effect is selected crackle and noise are present and the audio is distorted.

I was wondering if this was a one off situation or have others suffered the same.

I did contact Korg - just in case it was a known issue - they indicated that the supplier would replace it. However the supplier is sticking to the one year guarantee.

So has anyone else had issues with this unit?
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Re: Vox Amplug2 AC30 going faulty

Postby JimN » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:26 pm

SJB wrote:I purchased the Amplug2 AC30 just over a year ago and now the effects have failed.
The unit functions ok - but when any effect is selected crackle and noise are present and the audio is distorted.

I was wondering if this was a one off situation or have others suffered the same.

I did contact Korg - just in case it was a known issue - they indicated that the supplier would replace it. However the supplier is sticking to the one year guarantee.

So has anyone else had issues with this unit?

An obvious question: have you tried changing the battery or batteries?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: Vox Amplug2 AC30 going faulty

Postby SJB » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:19 pm

HI Jim,
Thanks.

Yes changed the batteries.

Update:-

As it seemed that the only way forward was to purchase a new one - (I am an electronics person) so loosing nothing I disassembled it - mainly to check for dry joints.

I noted some iffy solder joints but as there are several small chips in there I decided to leave the inspection under magnification until later. So I put it back together for now as playing practice is called for and don't need the Amplug for that.
Now its all ok ???????????????????

It could well be a dry joint.

We wait and see.
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Return to Gear