Radio transmitter

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Radio transmitter

Postby RUSSET » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:24 pm

Hi,
For those of you that favour using a radio transmitter instead of a traditional lead for your guitar signal, I have recently bought a LINE 6 Relay G10. I had been using an AKG with the Bug transmitter for many years, but it eventually failed & I had a look around for a new one.

I found the LINE 6 G10, & am so pleased with it that I had to pass on my recommendation to you all. There are no buttons to press & no knobs to turn, it is the simplest of things to use. The plug in transmitter is very solidly made; much better than the AKG, & has a small switch incorporated that turns it on automatically as you plug it into your guitar jack socket. So .... no bangs & pops when you plug in. Strum a chord, & the transmitter recognises a signal is coming through & switches the internal battery on. If you stop playing, after a short time it switches itself off, to save power.
A small LED on the top illuminates Green when you are in normal fully charged mode. If you have less than 30mins charge left, it flashes Red. To recharge it, you simply plug it into the Receiver unit, which has, obviously a connection to the mains. A full charge is stated to last 8 hours, on the rechargeable battery inside. It costs about £140, but is well worth it.

Oh, and one more thing ..... When you plug it in to recharge, it does a search of the radio frequencies to find one that doesn't interfere with any other frequencies that are being used within the immediate vicinity. I've tried it & it definitely works.
GREAT !

Tony.
RUSSET

Re: Radio transmitter

Postby Hank2k » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:50 am

Hi Tony

I have heard great things about the G10 so your recommendation enforces what a great piece of kit it is. I will have to try one out.

Thanks
Hank2k

Postby AlanMcKillop » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:31 pm

I've been using Line 6 for a while now (think mine might be the G30) and it's the best wireless transmitter I've used.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby nivramarvin » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:47 pm

I have the G30. It works very well. I use 2 mignon akkus in the transmitter, they always last long enough for one gig. But the battery indicator LEDs on the receiver should be brighter, when playing by day.
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby RUSSET » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:12 pm

For those looking for a Radio signal transmission device, this not only one of the cheapest, but also most reliable I have ever seen. There is no noticeable signal degradation compared to a regular cable. Even my co-guitarist, who is a stick in the mud for doing things the 'Old Way', had to admit it was good, & subsequently has bought one. I didn't fancy the 'Clip on the belt' versions, so the simple plug in & play of the G10 really pleases me. To change guitars, mid gig, you just unplug from one & plug straight into the other. Simples !!
Just make sure you read the short manual to make sure you know how it operates, & away you go.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby SJB » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:05 pm

nivramarvin,

I use the Maplin 2000mAh rechargeables. I note you use rechargeables - what capacity?

I must admit the ones I use have seen service in the Garden Lights for two years - but they do last. Line 6 indicate that you should not use rechargeables.
So I seem to get several evenings of use out of a pair.

SJB
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby nivramarvin » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:06 am

Hi Stuart,

mine are "TRONIC" Mignon-Ni-MH-Akkus, bought in a "Lidl" supermarket (Germany). Specs: 2300 mAh, 1,2 V. I always have a second pair in my suitcase.

I use them for one ore two gigs and rehearsals, until they are empty, that's better for their endurance i think (because of the memory effect).

Wolfgang
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby SJB » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi nivramarvin

Yes if you don't fully discharge the batteries you will get memory effect and the capacity will go down.

I use this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNiROSS-ULTIM ... 1495597965

It charges 4 batteries at the same time (you can do one / two or three you don't have to fully load it.)
I set it to "Discharge" so it discharges the batteries first then charges them at the rate you select.
The batteries are individually managed so some will switch to charge before others and some reach full earlier than others.
You can also refresh batteries.

So you can ensure full capacity at all times.

I have found that charge falls off over say a couple of weeks. Can catch you out so I take several batteries just in case.

Stu
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Return to Gear