Help to identify guitar.

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Help to identify guitar.

Postby JimN » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:26 pm

pjr wrote:Thanks for all the info and comments everyone - very much appreciated.
JN thanks for the heads up on Ebay, it's given me a pretty good idea about how much to ask for it.
I'll restring it and spend a couple of hours setting it up over the next few days and report back with my opinion of it.
Thanks again all,
Pete

It'd look better without that incorrect scratchplate.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby pjr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:43 pm

I agree!

Pete
pjr

Full Real Name: Peter J Richardson

Postby pjr » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:09 pm

and now.jpg
(272.63 KiB) Downloaded 7943 times
OK guys, here's a picture of the finished article.
Cleaned, scratchplate removed, 12's removed and replaced with 10's, 2mm packing piece removed from the neck pocket and some very drastic work on the bridge to get a comfortable action,
The bridge is hardwood (ebony?) and adds a certain warmth to the sound I believe. If it was mine to keep (it has to be sold on behalf of someone) I would fit a metal bridge unit to get a bit more sparkle in the sound.
Overall it now plays very well. It's a pity it doesn't have the full length block in the body to give a bit more sustain but it was no doubt made to a price.

I assume the guitar is meant to be a knock-off of a 335 and I've tried to attach a small sound file to this post.
Guitar - compressor - Mesa Lone Star preamp section - bit of plate reverb from a Q20 into the computer.
It doesn't sound quite the same as Tony Peluso's mind you............ ;)

Cheers all,

Pete
Attachments
Smile.mp3
(397.14 KiB) Downloaded 535 times
pjr

Postby JimN » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:29 pm

When that guitar was made, it was very unusual for any guitar of its general appearance to be constructed with a solid centre block.

The Gibsons 335, 345 and 355, yes. But Gibson 330, no. It and similar guitars from Fender, Gretsch, Guild and the well-knwn European makers were effectively hollow.

Solid centre blocks became a well-known design feature (familiar enough to be incorporated into other makers' designs) only from the mid-to-later seventies onward. Before that, a guitar was a 335 copy if it merely looked the same shape.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby cockroach » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:45 am

Nice job Peter!

Looks nice, and sounds OK too...you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a buyer!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby pjr » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks John and thanks to JN for sharing his extensive knowledge.

Pete
pjr

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:13 pm

I think you might lose a bit of character if you fitted a metal bridge. The wooden bridge helps the vibrations from the strings 'escape' into the body which of course has an effect on the sound - what you lose in sustain, you make up for in tone.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Previous

Return to Gear