Baldwin Sonic 55 / Burns Orbit

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Baldwin Sonic 55 / Burns Orbit

Postby Billyboygretsch » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:23 pm

I have the Baldwin 55 from way back. I have a problem with the tremolo speed switch. I can adjust the depth but the speed will not vary. Any ideas what the fault may be - don't no a local engineer who could fix it. I'm in Luton .
Cheers
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Re: Baldwin Sonic 55 / Burns Orbit

Postby RayL » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:24 pm

Bill,

Can you feel the whole switch moving when you try to change speed?

If you can, then it's possible that movement in the past has fatigued a wire connection to the point where it has broken. Solution - re-solder wire.

Or is there no resistance when rotating between the settings? Rotary switches of that vintage often have a ball bearing pressing against a spring to give that resistance and to aid location. Solution - look for the ball bearing and put it back.

Or maybe the switch is simply broken. Solution - replace the switch.

I don't do repairs these days, but if you can get the amp chassis out of the cabinet we could meet at, say, St Pancras (convenient for Luton trains) and I might be able to spot the problem.

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Re: Baldwin Sonic 55 / Burns Orbit

Postby Billyboygretsch » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:09 am

Thanks Ray I will get the amp out and try the things you have suggested and come back to you. Cheers
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Return to Gear