50th Anniversary Fiesta Red

For anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units inc eTap plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

50th Anniversary Fiesta Red

Postby Stranded Albatross » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:32 pm

This may seem a silly question, but bearing in mind that Hank's '59 strat was, according to many an unlisted Fender colour and not fiesta red as we know it today, and often referred to as salmon/flamingo pink, how do we know how true is the colour compared to the original. Bearing in mind we are trying to recall a colour from memory, 50 year old, also a colour that was removed from the guitar sometime in the late '60s, sprayed white, and then resprayed a colour to a person's recollection of the original, and now to which the special edition strat has been matched in every detail.

My question is this: The new strat matches Bruce's guitar, but how accurate is it to the original colour which by now could be just a myth? It may not matter that much but in our obsession for accuracy it must matter. I do suffer sometimes from OCD, so my wife tells me, but someone please give me an acceptable answer, and put me out of my misery.
Stranded Albatross

Re: 50th Anniversary Fiesta Red

Postby OLDEREK » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:32 pm

I'm not sure but if I'm wrong please let me know, but I think this new 50th Anniversary Guitar is not matched to the old Strat Bruce has, the colour was chosen by Hank and Bruce from some paint samples they looked at, and they felt it was as close to the 59 Strat as they could remember, IMO even if it's not a perfect match ( and veryones eyes see it differently) the colour these guitars are painted is truly wonderful..........And remember its called Custom Red by Fender, if you get the chance to see one up close you'll know what I mean.............. :D
OLDEREK

Postby alanbakewell » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:34 pm

Ian, some time back I matched my CS "Fiesta Red" Stratocaster on a computer. Sprayed out the colour and compared it with other "Fiesta Red" guitars. Not one of them matched.

You have more chance of seeing Prince Philip's thong than getting the right "Fiesta Red".

Go and sit in a darkened room and say the words, "It really doesn't matter what the blasted colour is, I'm just glad we have the Shadows"

Now then, in future, the only obsessive compulsive disorder will be, getting the middle bit of "The Savage" right.

Deep breaths and a happy new year. Oh yes, and my best wishes to your patient Wife.

Cheers, Alan.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby OLDEREK » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:02 pm

THONG.jpg
(64.93 KiB) Downloaded 10479 times
OLDEREK

Postby Stranded Albatross » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:39 pm

Derek, I may be wrong too, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the colour was matched to bruce's strat, and/or was it his and Hank's memory of the original colour. I'm not positive without going back and doing some research. However there is a picture in the Guitar Buyer magazine of someone taking a photograph of the area around the horns. But I don't think there's much chance of my seeing onein the flesh as they're all sold and I don't know anyone who has one.

Alan, my wife actually bought me a fiesta red thong a few years back, which I've since donated to a charity,and I reckon Prince Phillip's is royal blue.....I'm taking your advice and will start work on the Savage on my return from visiting my daughter, but don't hold out much hope. I was a better guitar player at 15 than I am now. Frustration comes in many guises.

Thanks guys for your views, much appreciated.

Regards and best wishes for 2010.

Ian
Stranded Albatross

Postby des mcneill » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi Guys,
For what it is worth,I have a friend who has an original pink Strat and at the club last month a quest appeared with a certified original early sixties Strat.
Both are virtually identical in colour and are very much as I remember,I do not think Bruce's would match,and the modern Fiesta Red certainly does not.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby Martyn » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:33 am

des mcneill wrote:Hi Guys,
For what it is worth,I have a friend who has an original pink Strat and at the club last month a quest appeared with a certified original early sixties Strat.
Both are virtually identical in colour and are very much as I remember,I do not think Bruce's would match,and the modern Fiesta Red certainly does not.
Des.

Any chance of a photo of your friend's taken in daylight? Indoor digital or film shots are notoriously inaccurate so outdoors on a not too sunny day would be ideal. It would be interesting for me to compare this with my memory's version of my strat that I had back in the sixties.
Cheers,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby dave robinson » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:39 am

If you care to look, I have placed some pictures in my gallery of a 1959 Fender Strat with a Brazilian rosewood board, which makes it just a month or two younger than the one that Hank had. The interesting thing is the colour, as it is almost an identical shade of red to my 1962 USA reissue from 1991 - which goes to prove that that Fender do remember the correct shade, it couldn't be that close by accident.

The guitar is owned by our rhythm guitarist's son and has been valued in excess of £50,000. It was bought around ten years ago from Manny's in New York and was previously owned by American blues man, Taj Mahal. We sometimes use it on gigs and it sounds like no other Strat I've played - it's awesome!
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby ecca » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:14 am

It's the wrong colour.
ecca

Postby George Lewis » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:43 am

I'm with Dave on this one. Allowing for flash etc, the photos look very much (well to my memory ...) like the one I bought in 1964 .. direct from Fender USA !!! The smell was bee-eautiful but the colour much pinker than we expected from The Shads photos.

Ecca ... by the way ... what is a "Curmudgeon'" ?? Be kind because Tony and I are looking forward to some more cobbs in 2010 (hopefully September ??)
Regards
George
George Lewis

Next

Return to Gear