50th Anniversary Fiesta Red

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: 50th Anniversary Fiesta Red

Postby dave robinson » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:57 am

Hi Martyn, the top one of the pair is the '59, if you look closely it has a single ply scratchplate and the Brazilian rosewood is darker than the rosewood on my 60s reissue, which has a triple ply scratchplate. You can also see the 'chips' on the '59, though there aren't too many of them as this guitar is in quite good nick for it's age. The pickups are to die for, the closest to their sound that I have is on the 50th Anniversary Masterbuilt Strat, followed by the 60s reissue. It isn't a massive difference but I can hear something, especially when listening quietly and using the volume pots.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: 50th Anniversary Fiesta Red

Postby Martyn » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:46 am

Hi Dave,
Yes, I meant to say the earlier guitar of the two (got sixties in my head because that's when I owned my 58/59 strat :roll: ).
I have to confess mine wasn't a very good one and didn't sound any better than the cheaper ones we can buy today. I'd buy it back if I got the chance, purely for nostalgic reasons, not the quality of build or its sound. I know we can buy CS59/62s etc trying to match the sounds of that period but do we know what pickups were actually fitted to the early strats - were they all pretty much identical standard issue - the then equivalent of the 59/62s we see today?

Nice to be reminded of the colours back then by your photos.
Cheers,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Previous

Return to Gear