What on earth are the Shads playing here?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

What on earth are the Shads playing here?

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:59 pm

I was watching Wonderful Life earlier today, and right at the beginning where they are still on the cruise ship, noticed Hank and Bruce (John is only partly in shot) plugging in these strange guitars!

You only see them for a couple of seconds before the power supply blows up; just enough time to take a screen shot.

WonderfulLife.jpg
(175.23 KiB) Downloaded 13161 times

They look a bit VOX-ish to me.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Re: What on earth are the Shads playing here?

Postby chas » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Yes, they are Vox.
chas

Full Real Name: Chas de Lacy

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:21 am

Guess. Movie props, maybe provided by the film company.
The Shadows weren't using red guitars at this time. Wonderful Life was made in the transition from white Fender to white Burns instruments. The numbers featured in the film were recorded in advance before Licorice left and certainly not on Vox guitars.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:37 pm

I assume the props were provided because the boys didn't want to take their white Burns guitars to the film studio just for this short scene, after all they weren't used anywhere else in the film.

The only other time you see the Shads perform is during the On The Beach sequence.

WonderfulLife-2.jpg
(179.44 KiB) Downloaded 13051 times

Not a single white Burns in evidence there!
Uncle Fiesta

Postby JimN » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:50 pm

The Shadows are seen "performing" (with white Fender guitars and a Gibson J200) in a restaurant scene in "Wonderful Life".

I think the song was A Matter of Moments.

They're not in-shot very much, but they are there. It may be the only colour footage that exists with the white / tortoiseshell Fenders.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby JimN » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:53 pm

Looking at them again, those red "Vox" guitars could well just be non-working props. The scale-length on each of them looks long enough to be a baritone or six-string bass. And the very compact bridge/trem unit is not a design seen on any Vox guitar on the market.

But the instrument being held by John looks like a standard Vox Symphonic Bass (JMI's cosmetic copy of a Precision Bass, albeit with completely different pickups).
Last edited by JimN on Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:43 pm

Uncle Fiesta wrote:I assume the props were provided because the boys didn't want to take their white Burns guitars to the film studio just for this short scene, after all they weren't used anywhere else in the film.

They didn't have the Burns gear then. As you can see in your screenshot, John is using what had been Lic's white P-bass on On The Beach
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:38 pm

JimN wrote:The Shadows are seen "performing" (with white Fender guitars and a Gibson J200) in a restaurant scene in "Wonderful Life".

I think the song was A Matter of Moments.

They're not in-shot very much, but they are there. It may be the only colour footage that exists with the white / tortoiseshell Fenders.

Quite right Jim, I was able to get a screenshot of that too.

WonderfulLife-3.jpg
(191.05 KiB) Downloaded 13002 times

I presume they bought all this gear when they got to Gran Canaria, because they certainly didn't have any of it with them in the lifeboat!
Uncle Fiesta

Postby cockroach » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:53 pm

JimN wrote:Looking at them again, those red "Vox" guitars could well just be non-working props. The scale-length on each of them looks long enough to be a baritone or six-string bass. And the very compact bridge/trem unit is not a design seen on any Vox guitar on the market.

But the instrument being held by John looks like a standard Vox Symphonic Bass (JMI's cosmetic copy of a Precision Bass, albeit with completely different pickups).

I also wondered about that ...!

I actually measured the relative scale length of Bruce's guitar on the laptop screen (I really need to get out more!)...and the grey coloured item which is presumably the bridge appears to be positioned correctly relative to the 12th fret, but they look like normal scale guitars to me...and why have both guitars got those small plastic mounting plates with what looks like 3 on-off black slide switches for the pickups? The nearest likely Vox model back then that looks like the guitars was the Soundcaster, which had a Strat type blade switch and three control knobs...and the guitars in the clip only have two knobs...and those cheapo vibrato arm units whereas the Soundcaster had a similar size unit but with a cover and the arm pivoted from the middle....intriguing!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby cockroach » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:09 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:
Uncle Fiesta wrote:I assume the props were provided because the boys didn't want to take their white Burns guitars to the film studio just for this short scene, after all they weren't used anywhere else in the film.

They didn't have the Burns gear then. As you can see in your screenshot, John is using what had been Lic's white P-bass on On The Beach

But what about Hank using the green Burns 12 string for the On The Beach segment?
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Next

Return to Gear