VOX AC4 TV

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

VOX AC4 TV

Postby terryjan » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:52 pm

HI, I'm a new member, this is my first post, and I am basically looking for advice. I have the usual gear, Mex Strat, US vintage reissue 57 Strat, Quad plus with EFTP, and a Vox AC30 CC1. I get a nice sound but I have moved to a smaller place with closer neighbours, so really the Vox will have to be sold, too loud, and now much too heavy, (arthiritis in the old back). I have been looking at the Vox AC4 TV as a possible replacement, but I have never heard one. Does anybody out there have any experience of this amp, and is it suitable for Shadows music ? It would be for home use only. I have tried the Blackstar HT5 combo but this gives the wrong sound. I hope some of you experts out there can help me.
Many thanks
Terry
terryjan

Re: VOX AC4 TV

Postby Bluesnote » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:37 pm

I'm not one of the experts but I have a loan of a Vox valvetronix 15 at the moment and its great. Lot smaller than what you've got but plenty of output(but you can control it for home use) and great sounds from it. I'm going to get one when I get back home. They sell at 109 quid in Guitar Guitar.
Great buy for that amount of cash. I also have a DA5 which aint too bad either for what it is 8-)
Hugh.
Bluesnote

Postby tony parnham » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi Terry,
Although I have a Line6 micro Spider now which has great EQ Treb, Mid, Bass + channel volume to strike a happy medium with my Steve Vai and Malmsteen signature guitars as well as my Classic 50's Shads type stuff, don't rule out the the Vox DA 5, yes it looks pathetic and they might think you're a fanboy but dont be fooled it packs a big punch and for a small environment could be ideal, I tried the AC4 and it distorts very easily.
Tony
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Postby terryjan » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:41 pm

Hi Hugh and Tony, Thanks for your suggestions, and I'll certainly try these amps when the weather improves. I've been chatting to a pal and he is quite adamant that I should be trying out a Fender Blues Junior, light and portable, 15 watts, EL84s, and a 12 inch speaker, and not too powerful for home use. So, here we go again.
Regards
Terry
PS> HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
terryjan

Postby ecca » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:31 pm

This is the amp you want.

ekamp.jpg
(269 KiB) Downloaded 10013 times
ecca

Postby Amanda » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:49 pm

That's one hell of a woofer you got there Ecca :lol:
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby terryjan » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi Ecca, Does it weigh much?
terryjan

Postby Bluesnote » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:31 pm

Amanda wrote:That's one hell of a woofer you got there Ecca :lol:

I had one hell of a woofer once...He was a golden retriever called Jamie :roll:
Bluesnote

Postby Mikey » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Is that a Mexican HM Signature you're playing there Ecca? I have one too but whenever I photograph it the "salmon pink" comes out bright red. Yours is the most accurate colour representation I've seen in a photo.
Love that Marshall amp. I've heard of the Bluesbreaker but that one looks more like a Ballbreaker!
Mikey

Postby ecca » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:41 am

Yes Mike, I've since flogged it but you're right, the colour (IMHO) was bang on.
ecca

Next

Return to Gear