Is this the same guitar?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Is this the same guitar?

Postby Gatwick1946 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:48 am

Thanks to the folks who can put material up on Youtube, I can enjoy seeing old clips I missed at the time, or only viewed in black and white.

I recently viewed the Shadows performing the six entries for Eurovision 1975 on the Lulu show. Although they are miming to a pre-recorded track, hearing it in stereo sounded good to me ears,

I notice that Hank uses a sunburst, maple board strat throughout. Is this a respray of the blonde strat he bought after the burns went missing, or another strat?

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Re: Is this the same guitar?

Postby drakula63 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:20 pm

No. I believe the white one was re-sprayed and became the Black Strat. I think he must have been using the sunburst while this was being done - early '75.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby cockroach » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:55 pm

IIRC, Hank said he bought/acquired a sunburst maple neck Strat from Tony Hicks of the Hollies around that time?

I may be mistaken, so... :D
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Simon Underwood » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:56 pm

The Strat that Hank bought from Tony Hicks was later, sometime in the mid 80s, and was a late 50s model, and the one he was playing on the Lulu show was a large headstock early 70s one, which I presume he bought new.

Simon
Simon Underwood

Full Real Name: Simon Underwood

Postby JimN » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:02 pm

cockroach wrote:IIRC, Hank said he bought/acquired a sunburst maple neck Strat from Tony Hicks of the Hollies around that time?

I may be mistaken, so... :D

That was later, and that sunburst Strat which came from Tony Hicks was a pre-CBS fifties model (it was apparently bought later than the FR 1958 model Hank got from Patrice Bastien).

The Hicks Stratocaster was seen on the covers of the "All Alone With Friends" LP and on the picture sleeve of the related Invisble Man single:

https://anonimage.net/image/nAfNNAktwB

It can also be seen at 0:35 in the TV advert for "The Silver Album" (1983):

"TransCash", eh? I'd forgotten all about that.

It is completely different from the mid-1970s version seen in earlier photographs. That had the larger post-CBS headstock, square button F tuners, a three-bolt neckplate with Tilt-Neck, a mazak one-piece bridge/trem-block and the toffee apple finish. Like this one:

JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Paul Childs » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:38 pm

During the 80s, I can't remember exactly which year now as I saw them on every tour, Hank, Bruce & Alan Jones each had sunburst Strats & P bass on stage in stands as spares. Could Hank's have been the one metioned? and what about Bruce's sunburst one?
p.s. Hank used his on the night at Cornwall Coliseum for one number when he broke a string on the red one.
Paul Childs

Postby drakula63 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Worth mentioning that there is at least one edition of the Lulu show where the lads are performing one of the Eurovision songs and Hank is using the blonde Strat. The edition where they play all the songs was from February 15th. They had played a song each week during the previous six weeks. There are some photos here and there and at least one of these editions (probably all of them) exist in the BBC vaults.
Attachments
SHADOWS 12JAN 1975 hi000529788.jpg
(816.34 KiB) Downloaded 10673 times
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby Patrice » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:47 pm

Hi Jim ;)
I'm totally in agreement with you, when you say:
That was later, and that sunburst Strat which came from Tony Hicks was a pre-CBS fifties model (it was apparently bought later than the FR 1958 model Hank got from Patrice Bastien).
As you know, I sold « my » 12/58 Fiesta Red to Hank in December 1980 in Paris…
No doubt that Hank bought this « mint » 57 Strat two tone Sunburst from Tony Hicks later than mine… May be two years later in 82 ? (I just remember that Hank showed me this guitar…)

Today and for me, it’s terrific to think that I sold this 58 Fiesta Red Strat to my Guitar Hero, there is now 36 years… How time flies!

Take care my friends ;)
Best regards from France
Patrice
Patrice

Full Real Name: Patrice Bastien

Postby Gatwick1946 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:22 pm

Thankyou folks, for all your replies.

Further to the shads tunes on YouTube - they are often accompanied by a photomontage - most of the photos will be familiar to members on shadowmusic - but now and again something new (to me) pops up.

Yesterday, while flicking through some Helen Shapiro songs (she was born only a few days before me), I noticed a photo of Hank, Bruce, Jet and Brian with Helen, taken at, possibly a film premiere?, as they were in evening dress.

It was in black and white, and Jet had dark hair. So date wise, I would put it between, say October 1961 and April 1962?

I will see if I can find it again and post a link, perhaps in a new thread.

Kindest regards
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby donna plasky » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:02 pm

A wild guess, but maybe the 1962 Ivor Novello Awards? Cliff and The Shadows were there - Cliff, Hank, Bruce, Jet, and Tony. The only photo I could find has only Cliff in it.

Cheers,
Donna

image.jpeg
(260.44 KiB) Downloaded 10331 times
donna plasky

Full Real Name: Donna Plasky

Next

Return to Gear