Shadows amp badges

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Shadows amp badges

Postby dave robinson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:53 pm

I have found a way of getting The Shadows amp badges made in plastic or similar and have ordered a couple to see if they do the job. Because Eric no loger makes the original brass ones such as the one I already have, I know people are looking for them and if these are successful would be able to supply them at a sensible price.
I'll put the details and a photo on here if I'm satisfied with the results. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Shadows amp badges

Postby JimN » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Weren't the original ones made of plastic anyway?

One of the amps had the logo damaged so that it read "The Snadows". That must have been a plastic escutcheon...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dave robinson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:49 pm

Didn't know that Jim, I only ever had my hands on one of Eric's.
I'm having these made so that they are solid on a black background at the moment in order to maintain the strength.
We will paint the letters in gold paint for accuaracy, and cut around the shape, leaving the strength on the badge intact, then carefully painting the non gold bits to mach the Vox cloth or any other type of cloth onto which they will be attached.
I think that cutting around the letters completely may compromise the strength of the badge, resulting in what you already described in your post Jim, though it would be possible, we'll see. They should be made in a similar fashion to the VOX badges that we see on their amps. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby JimN » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:16 pm

dave robinson wrote:I'm having these made so that they are solid on a black background at the moment in order to maintain the strength.
We will paint the letters in gold paint for accuaracy, and cut around the shape, leaving the strength on the badge intact, then carefully painting the non gold bits to mach the Vox cloth or any other type of cloth onto which they will be attached.
I think that cutting around the letters completely may compromise the strength of the badge, resulting in what you already described in your post Jim, though it would be possible, we'll see. They should be made in a similar fashion to the VOX badges that we see on their amps. :)

In the mid-sixties, when The Shadows were using newer AC30s on those swivel stands, their "The Shadows" badges did have a larger black background plate, probably to avoid the damage which led to "The Snadows" being displayed!
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby cockroach » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Now, how long before a Shads tribute band adopts the name 'The SNADOWS'? :roll: :D
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby abstamaria » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:32 pm

IMG_4999.jpeg
A great day today: “The Shadows” badges made it to Manila. Eric White
(thetudorrose or sometimes referred to here as the “badge man”) was much relieved too that they arrived. He is a wonderful person to deal with.

I have had Eric’s badges on two AC30s for many years and wanted to install badges on two other amps. However, I was afraid Eric no longer made the badges.

Eric wrote that he did stop making badges years ago, but was persuaded to produce one last batch before he finally hung up his saw. They are handmade, and I read here that it takes Eric six hours to produce a badge. He said all he had left were three badges. He added he certainly was not going to make any more badges.
There is still that last badge with Eric, waiting for a Shads enthusiast.
One of you might want to get it. Highly recommended.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby abstamaria » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:38 pm

IMG_4413.jpeg
The “The Shadows” badge, affixed to an amp, is an essential component for capturing That Sound.
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Return to Gear