JMI AC30 TB

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: JMI AC30 TB

Postby Egelund » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi Dave

I have had the JMI 15 with blue alnico for a few years now.

I have used it for almost every gig, with two bands, including several shadows tribute events i Denmark and sweden.
Quite often other guitarist use my amp, if they like, and everyone, or almost everyone like the sound.
Compared two the regular AC 15, with different speakers, and even the vintage series, it can play bleeding loud.

I was lycky to buy mine second hand, as the new Price was very high end.
Like all other equipment, you could consider if the higher Price gives you the same better sound.

Though I have heard all the bad stories about the Company, I have had no problem with mine, only ever changed one tube.

Regards
Niels
Egelund

Full Real Name: Niels Egelund faddersbøll

Postby dave robinson » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:01 am

Egelund wrote:Hi Dave

I have had the JMI 15 with blue alnico for a few years now.

I have used it for almost every gig, with two bands, including several shadows tribute events i Denmark and sweden.
Quite often other guitarist use my amp, if they like, and everyone, or almost everyone like the sound.
Compared two the regular AC 15, with different speakers, and even the vintage series, it can play bleeding loud.

I was lycky to buy mine second hand, as the new Price was very high end.
Like all other equipment, you could consider if the higher Price gives you the same better sound.

Though I have heard all the bad stories about the Company, I have had no problem with mine, only ever changed one tube.

Regards
Niels

Thanks Neils, I haven't dismissed the idea altogether as I really fancy owning one, it's just that the one on offer is the wrong colour and wouldn't fit in with our srage set. I might just buy it for my studio though. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby hansaustria » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:32 am

dave robinson wrote:I have the chance to buy a JMI AC30 TB fitted with Tayden blue speakers, the same model used by Hank and Bruce on the Reunion tour in 2009.
I wondered in anyone here had a similar amp and could offer any thoughts on whether they are worth buying - or not. :)

Hi Dave !

I own one. Ordered it in 2010, when the Shadows gave back their amps to MG. You will be not dissappointed, believe me, these
are great sounding amps. The amp was fitted from the first day with Taydens. It tooks me a lot of calls to the UK ( J. H. )
and I thought the amp would never come. But I was very stubborn and annoying with my phone calls. There were 20-30 calls. Then suddendly
movement came to the point ...... and it has "landed"! Never had problems with the amp. Use it in my Shadows coverband "The Artrio Shadows"
since years.

Regards
Hans
JMI_1.jpg
(222.61 KiB) Downloaded 11555 times
Last edited by hansaustria on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Postby cockroach » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:10 pm

Wow!

6 inputs!

We could put the whole group through that!

Oh ....sorry, I thought it was 1965 again... :D :D
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Egelund » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:29 am

Hi Dave

So they want to start a band.
But we are all busy playing.

My JMI 15 with blue alnico, is away with me - tonight and tomorrow night.
Playing at 60.tribute events.

And though everything is miked up to control the overall sound.''
This Little thing could do it without the PA.

By the way, been offered a practical unused ESE echomatic IV.
Price 600 Pound.
Interesting to have, though I fear, that it will not be used for live performance.

Is the Price fair??
Have a nice week-end
regards
Niels
Egelund

Full Real Name: Niels Egelund faddersbøll

Postby Tone » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi Niels

In answer to your question, I had an Echomatic IVR a few years ago and was very impressed by it. The only drawback for me was that, being analogue, there are no preset patches and although it can produce a wide range of echoes you do have to do quite a bit of fiddling around to get what you're looking for. Even so, I sometimes regret selling it.

I believe Dave (Robinson) has or had one and thinks highly of it.

£600 for one in practically unused condition seems a very good price indeed. They cost over £1000 new when they were made.

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Postby hansaustria » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:27 pm

Tone wrote:Hi Niels

In answer to your question, I had an Echomatic IVR a few years ago and was very impressed by it. The only drawback for me was that, being analogue, there are no preset patches and although it can produce a wide range of echoes you do have to do quite a bit of fiddling around to get what you're looking for. Even so, I sometimes regret selling it.

I believe Dave (Robinson) has or had one and thinks highly of it.

£600 for one in practically unused condition seems a very good price indeed. They cost over £1000 new when they were made.

Cheers.

Tony

I have one since a few years. Best you can have for Shadows sound. Has a real "singing" quality - its analogue!

ESE_5.jpg
(271.69 KiB) Downloaded 11464 times
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Postby Uncleboko » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:23 pm

dave robinson wrote:
keithmantle wrote:Hi Dave, I had a shads 50th anniversary same model but with a plaque (No 9 of 10) fabulous amp but was no good for my wrecked back !!, incidentally I put one of Eric's badges on it but in the left lower corner as the 50th badge was in the lower right.

Ah, the dreaded JMI/Music Ground 50th anniversary marketing ploy ! Steve Giles tells us that those special amps were no different to the usual AC30 TBs that he made, apart from an extra plaque on the back and some paperwork, but for a lot more money.
I know the history of the one I'm getting so I have no worries on build quality and reliability.
Any of these after Steve left in 2010 are likely candidates for some inferior wiring though, as he tells me that he was forever 'correcting' mistakes, a bit like what Rob was describing Charlie Hall doing with The Shads ones.

Also, I am fully aware that years ago I said that I would never support JMI and will stick by that, in as much that it is Steve Giles who I am supporting rather than them. The amp is eight years old and was upgraded by the present owner with Tayden speakers and is at the 'right money', so there's nowt in it for Music Ground. The badge will be replaced by a VOX one so I won't be advertising for them either. At the moment, Steve needs all the support he can get after a recent road accident in which he was seriously injured, but is thankfully recovering.

Help .......................another Steve Giles, is he descended from the Cricklade Giles family like myself I wonder??
Uncleboko

Full Real Name: Stephen Giles

Postby dave robinson » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:28 am

Been trying to contact Steve Giles but he has slipped under the radar.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby RogerCook » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:35 pm

He had a cycling accident probably 10 years ago. I've not heard from him since.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Previous

Return to Gear