JMI AC30 TB

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

JMI AC30 TB

Postby dave robinson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:57 pm

I have the chance to buy a JMI AC30 TB fitted with Tayden blue speakers, the same model used by Hank and Bruce on the Reunion tour in 2009.
I wondered in anyone here had a similar amp and could offer any thoughts on whether they are worth buying - or not. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: JMI AC30 TB

Postby bazmusicman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:46 pm

I have one, you won't be disappointed.

Regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby dave robinson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:13 pm

Thanks Baz. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby bor64 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi Dave,

I know a few who has issues with the amps and the boys of JMI are more in court then in there shop.....
Ask Robin of Guitar Syndicate in Belgium...
I wouldn't touch one with a pole and BTW most of the amps the shads used on stage in 2009 got working thanks to Charlie Hall he prevented they go down because faulty wiring...

Cheers Rob

Well for starters I have used a JMI AC15 and it was great and no faulty wiring anywhere.

This amp I'm looking at was built by Steve Giles, who left JMI because he couldn't work with them, so I don't have any worries there.
Maybe there are bad ones since he left, but I can only find good reports about Steve's work.
Steve knows about the problems with The Shads amps, it was faulty speaker wiring done by the clowns at JMI, not his work.
Apparently Steve made the amp chassis in batches of six, sending them to Doncaster where they were assembled with cabinets and speakers.
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby keithmantle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:54 pm

Hi Dave, I had a shads 50th anniversary same model but with a plaque (No 9 of 10) fabulous amp but was no good for my wrecked back !!, incidentally I put one of Eric's badges on it but in the left lower corner as the 50th badge was in the lower right.
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby dave robinson » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:14 am

keithmantle wrote:Hi Dave, I had a shads 50th anniversary same model but with a plaque (No 9 of 10) fabulous amp but was no good for my wrecked back !!, incidentally I put one of Eric's badges on it but in the left lower corner as the 50th badge was in the lower right.

Ah, the dreaded JMI/Music Ground 50th anniversary marketing ploy ! Steve Giles tells us that those special amps were no different to the usual AC30 TBs that he made, apart from an extra plaque on the back and some paperwork, but for a lot more money.
I know the history of the one I'm getting so I have no worries on build quality and reliability.
Any of these after Steve left in 2010 are likely candidates for some inferior wiring though, as he tells me that he was forever 'correcting' mistakes, a bit like what Rob was describing Charlie Hall doing with The Shads ones.

Also, I am fully aware that years ago I said that I would never support JMI and will stick by that, in as much that it is Steve Giles who I am supporting rather than them. The amp is eight years old and was upgraded by the present owner with Tayden speakers and is at the 'right money', so there's nowt in it for Music Ground. The badge will be replaced by a VOX one so I won't be advertising for them either. At the moment, Steve needs all the support he can get after a recent road accident in which he was seriously injured, but is thankfully recovering.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby bazmusicman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:06 pm

dave robinson wrote:Ah, the dreaded JMI/Music Ground 50th anniversary marketing ploy ! Steve Giles tells us that those special amps were no different to the usual AC30 TBs that he made, apart from an extra plaque on the back and some paperwork, but for a lot more money.

Yes that's what I have....No 6 of 10 With Tayden Speakers, a brilliant sound. As Keith said not good for an older back ( I'm 73 ). Mine has never been out of the house.
The only issue I had was the Rectifier Valve blew, other than that it has been fine.
bazmusicman

Postby keithmantle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi Baz, as you know I've got your No 6 plaque when they put it on my amp Instead of No9, pm your address I'll post it to you if you want it (no charge) regards Keith
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby bazmusicman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:05 pm

keithmantle wrote:Hi Baz, as you know I've got your No 6 plaque when they put it on my amp Instead of No9, pm your address I'll post it to you if you want it (no charge) regards Keith

Thank you Keith, that is very kind of you. I have sent you a PM.
I remember that mix up, Music Ground couldn't even get that bit right!

Regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Postby dave robinson » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:22 pm

Well after all that I'm sticking to my Vox AC30, simply because it turns out that the JMI that is up for grabs is in the beige finish and would look aesthetically wrong for our needs, it needed to be black. It's all about attention to detail. 8-)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Next

Return to Gear