Just a thought, Hank's 34346 Strat.

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Just a thought, Hank's 34346 Strat.

Postby dave robinson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:10 pm

Been looking on eBay this morning and there's a Stratocaster on there with Amalfitano pickups (which is what I was looking for) that is finished in Torino Red.
I'm not wanting to start an argument, but that does look like the colour of Hank's original, based on photographs as well as the shade of the 'Oasis' Strats that I have seen and played, so maybe not Fiesta Red after all. Until recently, I though the next red to Fiesta Red was the Dakota Red which is much darker, but Torino Red looks to fit the bill and is similar to the Knopfler Signature Strat colour too.I always thought that Hank's Strat was very red, rather than the pink that people go on about, it would be good for some of you to check it out and share your thoughts here. :)

This is the item number.142324565680
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Just a thought, Hank's 34346 Strat.

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:07 pm

I'd agree with all that.

Looks like a nice guitar too, are you going to buy it? I would!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby JimN » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:24 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Strato ... SwOgdYrbp7

I think that's a lot darker than the colour of Hank's original 1959 Stratocaster.

There are all sorts of problems with photographs (printing, etc), and one famous photo (the sleeve shot for "The Shadows To The Fore" does look darker, but others (eg, the "Mustang" EP and the bit you can see on the various shots for the sleeve shot for the LP "The Shadows") look lighter. Even monochrome shots - via their shade(s) of grey - don't look as dark as that.

That's given me an idea - a montage of the various known colour shots, with monochrome reductions in order to compare the shades when seen in black and white.
Last edited by JimN on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dave robinson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Yes that would be interesting Jim.
As for buying the guitar myself, I now have ten Strats' and over forty others including Burns, Gibsons', Gretsch, PRS, Martin, Epiphone, Yamaha, Vox, Tokai, Takamine, Harley Benton, Vintage, Squier, Eko and Egmond. I do like it, but I am trying to cut down, believe it or not. :shock:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby JimN » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:15 am

:-)

Snap!
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby hansaustria » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:47 am

This is my 63 amp with an original 63 Strat in DAKOTARED. Guitar is not refinished only refretted.

Regards
Hans
IMG_7776.JPG
(128.45 KiB) Downloaded 13703 times
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Postby Billyboygretsch » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:55 pm

I used to visit Charing Cross Road in 1960 / 61. The colours in the shop varied but that may have been the lighting. They were being sold as Flamingo Pink, Salmon Pink and various other shades of pink I can remember in the Selmer catalogue they sold Sunburst or Red. I never heard of Fiesta Red until a few years later. Same with Daphne blue they were being sold as Ice Blue.
I understand that the Fiesta Red wasn't that popular in the US. Perhaps there were large variations back in the 50/60s and a "that's close enough attitude existed". There weren't the facilities for matching colours that there are today and who at that time really cared or could compare the shades - people were happy to get one at the time that looked like Hanks. It's only many years later that every minute detail is needed or discussed.
I can recall someone on the Brian May site querying why Burns in the early days changed from cloth to plastic on the TriSonic windings Peter Farrell told me it was because the plastic was easier to use.
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby bor64 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:58 pm

How about Cimarron red?

It was used first around the time the 34346 was made.....and not used on large scale....just for Bill Carson's guitars...who knows?

Cheers Rob
Attachments
2016-12-06_22-16-06.jpg
(70.25 KiB) Downloaded 13558 times
2016-12-06_22-18-14.jpg
(305.07 KiB) Downloaded 13558 times
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:12 am

And don't forget that officially no Fender custom colors existed until 1960 when the first color chart came out.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby dave robinson » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:29 am

That's a nice shade of red Rob and interestingly possible.
What I can prove, is that the USA fiesta red as we know it existed in 1959 because I had access of an untampered 1959 that when placed side by side with my fiesta red USA reissue was identical in colour. That tells me that Fender were spraying that colour at that time and haven't forgotten it some thirty years down the line when mine was made.
For the record, most Jap fiesta red guitars appear to have an orange tint by comparison to the USA ones.
Regarding the different shades of red on display around various music shops back in the day, there were some that were resprayed here in the UK to satisfy demand, so that explains some of it.
This brings us to the red used on the Oasis Hank Marvin Strats' that are darker than fiesta red, it isn't a variation of fiesta red, it's a different red altogether and deliberately so, thus my interest in Torino red on the guitar I saw. The dakota red on the Strat pictured above is a long way off the Oasis Strat colour, it's far darker. Still a good point of debate. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Next

Return to Gear