Same amp model can have a different voicing

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Same amp model can have a different voicing

Postby Vincent » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:33 pm

[i]Is it possible that the tone can change over time in a transistor amp? the other thing I found with at least one Vox model(now discontinued) is that the same model would have a different voice to another and even play louder.

I sold a Vox Cambridge 30 single in 2010-I then decided that was a mistake & bought 2 more . I've kept one but it's still not the same as my original. I still miss that amp... :(
[/i]
Vincent

Full Real Name: vincent ludovico

Re: Same amp model can have a different voicing

Postby cockroach » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:07 am

Probably!

My main gigging amp for many years was a Peavey Envoy (1x10 35 watts)

My mate the bass player in our band liked it so much (he always calls it 'Mighty Mouse'- they are very loud for the size!) that he bought one (identical model) to mine.
Needless to say, the tone is different..

I would guess that using any amp for a long period would change the sound somewhat- for a start, speakers probably wear over time...especially if they are being caned pretty hard at live gigs etc!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby jimuc » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:58 am

Definitely!

I had a Fender Mustang II (V2) which I found was a great little amp.

I decided to go for the Mustang III (V2) to get a little more oomph, big mistake !!!

I then went back to a Mustang II (V2) hoping to get the same results as my original. It sounded nothing like the first one in tone quality.

I now have a Vox VT80+.................much better !!! Happy bunny again.
Never nail a door shut that you may want to go back through
jimuc

Full Real Name: Jim Dunlop

Postby Vincent » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:18 am

I guess it comes down to minor differences in components or build quality in transistor amps. I get the feeling with modelling circuits -modelling amps, this is less of an issue.

In the case of an all valve amp,( I'm just guessing here!), the sound can be tweaked in a way you cant with a circuit board. Maybe that's why people still buy them despite the cost and weight...
:ugeek:
Vincent

Full Real Name: vincent ludovico

Return to Gear