STRINGS

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: STRINGS

Postby JimTidmarsh » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:33 am

People are probably going to think I'm a bit of a philistine, but I always buy whatever strings are on offer at the time (Ie the cheapest).
I use 10s on my electrics and 13s on my acoustic, changing them every 9 months or so (whether it's needed or not!). Maybe my hearing is not what is was but I can't tell any difference between the makes, coated or otherwise.
The strings on my basses are several years old, however & sound great!
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:14 pm

I have a lot of guitars and some that I rarely use have got strings on them from before I was ill, which is pre 2012. My red Shadows Burns is one of them and it sounds great - though I will change them should I gig the guitar. There are several more hidden away, though the acoustics don't fare as well with longevity as the solids. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby RayL » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:15 am

Buying guitar strings?
This is the age of recycling.
All you need is a saucepan of boiling water with a smidge of washing-up liquid.
Do it on a sunny day when your solar panels are giving max power and Mother Earth says thank you.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby JimTidmarsh » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:36 am

RayL wrote:Buying guitar strings?
This is the age of recycling.
All you need is a saucepan of boiling water with a smidge of washing-up liquid.
Do it on a sunny day when your solar panels are giving max power and Mother Earth says thank you.

That takes me back to the 60s when pocket money was tight!!
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby RogerCook » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Ah yes! I remember boiling strings but it didn't fix those 3 or 4 disconnected coils on the wound 3rd :D
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:32 pm

When I read threads like this I am grateful that I play bass guitar. Having found the strings that work for me, like John Rostill I shall never change them!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby cockroach » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:40 pm

Flatwounds can last indefinitely...

I've had a set on one guitar for around 5-6 years, my wife's bass has had its flatwounds on for over 20 years, and my mate the bass player in my first band still has the originally fitted flatwounds on his old bass (a hand made left handed Rickenbacker copy made by our drummer....in 1966/67)!!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby RayL » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:08 am

If we're talking bass strings, a word for Rotosound Trubass (65 - 115) which are roundwound (for tone) covered in black nylon (smoother even than flatwound). To clean, just a wipe with a damp cloth. Should last for ever.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:19 am

RayL wrote:If we're talking bass strings, a word for Rotosound Trubass (65 - 115) which are roundwound (for tone) covered in black nylon (smoother even than flatwound). To clean, just a wipe with a damp cloth. Should last for ever.

Interesting. If I need to string a new bass, I'll gladly give these a try. The gauge is very heavy which would be new to me, I'm more of a 40-100 man, but if it was a new (to me) instrument then it would be interesting to set it up for heavy gauge and see what it sounds like.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:56 am

Boiling strings is OK to an extent and it does freshen up the tone, but does nothing to combat metal fatigue at the bridge and tuning peg positions and once used, the strings are severely compromised and WILL break. If you're not someone who performs professionally it doesn't matter so much as there isn't the embarassment of having to delay your performance, but changing strings periodically is how I guarantee minimal breakage.
I have tried with quite a bit of success the strings that Ecca speaks of but as Roger mentioned, the reliability can be questionable, I too have had breakages just fitting them from new. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Gear