JMI Amps

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

JMI Amps

Postby Mike Honey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:51 am

I dont want this to be libellous but I was talking to an amp-tech friend yesterday about JMI amps (which are way out of my price range BTW!) and wondered if anybody either could add or correct anything I was told.
1. Are JMI still in litigation with Korg/Vox for copying their amps?
2. That JMI (which used to stand for Jennings Musical Industries, the original makers of Vox) registered the name as it was available?
3. copied the original vox schematics that are now in the public domain?
4. Do people think that they are getting an original classic Vox?
5. Has the quality of VOX amps decreased? (thereby creating the demand for a quality British valve amp)

Mike
Mike Honey

Re: JMI Amps

Postby Didier » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:33 am

The Vox brand is now owned by Korg.
As far as I know, the JMI brand is now onwed by Music Ground (who produce the JMI amps).

Patents are generally valid for 20 years, so there can't be patent infringements for designs which are 50 years old, and are now in the public domain. Anyhow, Vox amps schematics were already heavily based on former US amps.

I don't know if there could be copyright infringement about the look of Vox amps cabinets.

I know several people who had quality problems with recent Vox amps built in China.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby des mcneill » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi Mike,
I could be all wrong on this,but I seem to remember being told that the current JMI stood for Justin's Musical Instruments,Justin being the son of Rick,the owner of Music Ground. I think they started off making replicals of the four input EF86 model of the AC30 which has iconic status but hasn't been made for about 50 years. They also now make top boost models,again based on the four input with the top boost mounted on the back like the original top boost. I have several vintage AC30s and besides the case see little similarity with the new Vox ones. I would imagine people buying the new JMI want something as close to the original as possible.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby Mike Honey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:30 pm

thats interesting guys. I dont think theres a chance of korg winning because of the electronics, but the diamond cloth ? dunno about that one. they've got a pretty impressive line up of endorsees.

Mike
Mike Honey

Return to Gear