Laney Cub12R speaker upgrade

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Laney Cub12R speaker upgrade

Postby dale01487ITSME » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks Dave, not too dissimilar to how I've set it up actually, I accept it's not bad particuarly for the money. I'll going and have another play!

BTW I'm using my trusty Fender CS 56 NOS which I've had for over 15 years now and still using the stock pick ups. If I wanted to upgrade them to get closer to Hank's modern sound, any ideas Dave?
dale01487ITSME

Postby dale01487ITSME » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Hi Dave and thank you for your response, not too dissimilar from the way I had it set but I will keep playing with it.

I'm using my trusty Fender CS 56 NOS which I've owned from new over 15 years. I've still got the stock Fender Pick ups installed I'm wondering whether I need to upgrade them, CS 54's perhaps? Any thoughts on a good set for Hank's modern sound?
dale01487ITSME

Postby alanbakewell » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi Dale, I too have a Fender CS 56 NOS Stratocaster. I bought it, new, from Peter Cooks Guitar World
in 2004. The only thing I've changed is the tremolo for a Callaham block and stainless steel arm.

I've never even dreamed of changing the Custom Shop Fat 50's pickups.

You ask about CS 54's. I have a 50th Anniversary Stratocaster. The real 50th anniversary. Two tone
sunburst, maple neck, 50th Anniversary case and, Custom Shop 54 pickups. And.....I changed
the tremolo for a Callaham block and stainless steel arm. I've owned the 50th Anniversary for about
ten years now. I fitted the Callaham block and arm shortly after purchasing the guitar.

In my opinion, ( and my opinion is all it is because everyone hears things differently ), the Custom
Shop 54's are not as full a sound as the Fat 50's on the 56 NOS.

So, my answer to changing the pickups on your 56 NOS is, don't even think about it.

I recently purchased a 1997 USA Standard Stratocaster. My plan was to try a different set of pickups
and, of course, replace the block and arm with a Callaham. The theory being that I got the guitar
at a reasonable price and there would be no harm done with a bit of experimentation.
So far I'm perfectly happy with the sound as it is. ( Again, my opinion ).

One last thing for now. The main item apart from the guitar and the amplifier giving me a
Shadows sound is my Zoom G3X with Ross Hall's patches.
Again, there are many effects pedals and many different opinions.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers, Alan.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby dale01487ITSME » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi Alan and many many thanks for your response and I do now feel quite reassured now so I'll keep the stock pick ups firmly in place! I didn't realise they were Fat 50's. I will however change the block to a Callaham, I have done that with quite a few guitars in the past but never thought to do it on my 56 NOS. I've been using the Q2 with Charlies patches for many years now and it does the job well. What amp are you using Alan?
dale01487ITSME

Postby alanbakewell » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi Dale, I'm using the Boss Katana 100 watt single speaker amplifier.
I still have my Vox AC15 HW1 which I rate very highly and will probably not part company with. Pound for pound in both monetry terms and weight, the Boss is a bargain. I'm still experimenting with the settings. I think the next purchase will be the dedicated foot controller.
( Unless Roger Bayliss buys one first, then I'll borrow his.)
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Previous

Return to Gear